Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5w 30 vs 5w 40 in high km LFX

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Morning guys.

My LFX has 275,000 kms.

I changed oil when I bought it 2 weeks ago and used Penrite 5w 30.

I have some lifter noise, and was thinking perhaps a heavier weight oil might suit given the mileage?

Thoughts?

I was planning on doing oil change at 5,000 km intervals as previous owner was 20,000-25,000 intervals and figured I might get some internal sludge out with more frequent changes

Cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
20~25k :eek:
I wouldn't have bought it knowing that because the prev owner basically neglected the vehicle.

The lifter noise might be due to age or it could be a symptom of poor oil circulation due to sludging because the lfx is prone to it if the servicing is neglected.
You cant really tell without a visual inspection.

If it does have a sludge problem a thicker oil might make the problem worse.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
20~25k :eek:
I wouldn't have bought it knowing that because the prev owner basically neglected the vehicle.

The lifter noise might be due to age or it could be a symptom of poor oil circulation due to sludging because the lfx is prone to it if the servicing is neglected.
You cant really tell without a visual inspection.

If it does have a sludge problem a thicker oil might make the problem worse.
Ok thanks.

So maybe keep the 5w 30 in it for 5000 and change again with same weight?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Wow. If you are handy I think it would be well worth your time to pull the intake manifold and rocker covers off that so you can eyeball the current condition of the top end. That would tell you all you need to know. If it's all clean then you are very lucky and in that case a 5w40 would be worth looking into.
But if it's sludged up it's going to need a lot more than just 5000 km oil changes to clean it up.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wow. If you are handy I think it would be well worth your time to pull the intake manifold and rocker covers off that so you can eyeball the current condition of the top end. That would tell you all you need to know. If it's all clean then you are very lucky and in that case a 5w40 would be worth looking into.
But if it's sludged up it's going to need a lot more than just 5000 km oil changes to clean it up.
I’m not handy, and won’t be able to do that.

I bought it as I negotiated an amazing price. Comprable cars are on market for circa 17-20k I paid $9k and physically it is the cleanest example I looked at.

My price factored in future works to engine like timing chain etc.

It’s a second car for me. My L77 is immaculately maintained. I’m ok with it not being perfect for the money. Just thought a different oil might be better

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ok, well then the easiest way to get an indication of how clean the engine is is to watch how the colour of the new oil changes over the next 6 months. If it turns black quickly it's probably a dirty engine.
Anyhow, I am a fan of 5w40 oils and I think they do a better job than 5w30 particularly in terms of the longevity of the engine.
Keep it all in mind and check the colour of the oil on the dipstick every month.
I'm in the same boat as I just purchased a second hand V6 and gave it the first oil change of 5w30 mainly to get the old oil out so I know where things are starting from.

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, well then the easiest way to get an indication of how clean the engine is is to watch how the colour of the new oil changes over the next 6 months. If it turns black quickly it's probably a dirty engine.
Anyhow, I am a fan of 5w40 oils and I think they do a better job than 5w30 particularly in terms of the longevity of the engine.
Keep it all in mind and check the colour of the oil on the dipstick every month.
I'm in the same boat as I just purchased a second hand V6 and gave it the first oil change of 5w30 mainly to get the old oil out so I know where things are starting from.
Do you reckon there’s any value on doing my first change at say 2,000 instead of 5?

greenacc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Do you reckon there’s any value on doing my first change at say 2,000 instead of 5?
Only if the oil turns dark brown or black by 2000. And I doubt it will. If it still looks new or light brown you would just be wasting oil dumping it so soon.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Stay with 5-30 as the books tell you.
I guess you have the books showing previous owner was very slack and mean.
Oil change and filter at same time.
RED coolant required every 5 years.
Is that up to date?