Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5w 30 vs 5w 40 in high km LFX

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Rookie numbers

View attachment 256119

Bloke on Club VF Facebook page, he got the car at 12174, and other pic at 400K

His latest post recently was below

View attachment 256120

MY13 VF SV6 with Factory LPG so LWR. Granted he has needed a solid amount of service items, with the main thing being 3 transmissions due to torque converter failures (But in fairness, I believe he does ALOT of towing)

But amazingly from what he has said no major engine specific items aside from the usual plugs and coil packs. I think he only just replaced the suspension too. Either way, that's dam impressive! Im looking forward to his half million
Impressive. Not surprised the engine would last that distance but I'm amazed about the shocks. It must have been bouncing down the road for the last 5 years.
Someone ask him what oil he's running :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yes it has books, however they didn’t use Holden the last half of ownership. Who knows wether the mechanics they used followed the book protocol.

I’ll have a look at the coolant color tomorrow.
To be fair, who knows if a Holden dealer always does the work they were charging for?? There's only 2 mechanics in Sydney that I trust and will take my cars to for that reason. Too many say all the right things but only do half a job..

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
Rookie numbers

View attachment 256119

Bloke on Club VF Facebook page, he got the car at 12174, and other pic at 400K

His latest post recently was below

View attachment 256120

MY13 VF SV6 with Factory LPG so LWR. Granted he has needed a solid amount of service items, with the main thing being 3 transmissions due to torque converter failures (But in fairness, I believe he does ALOT of towing)

But amazingly from what he has said no major engine specific items aside from the usual plugs and coil packs. I think he only just replaced the suspension too. Either way, that's dam impressive! Im looking forward to his half million
That's not very common for any car, let alone a Commodore... Also, I would've never have guessed it had almost 500,000km just by looking at the condition of the exterior...

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
It still goes well.

To be honest the noise I have noticed has been present in every one I looked at (5-6) might just be a LFX noise running g normally….
Do you have a video of the ticking sound?

As Fu Manchu said, you could try using Diesel oil for a poorly maintained motor like yours...

Anthony .

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR V6 Executive
I would also recommend that before you dump the oil, get the engine into operating temperature and towards the end of driving, keep the revs high and give the engine a little bit of a thrashing (responsibly). Reasoning is that it should get the oil to flow more and hopefully loosen some crap in the motor and some should come out when you dump it.
Also, NO engine flush for your engine, well at least until the engine becomes significantly cleaner

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
To be fair, who knows if a Holden dealer always does the work they were charging for??
At the Chrysler/Mitsubishi dealer I did my apprenticeship in the late '70s early '80's, we were taught to do roughies on a service to get the job done faster, true story!!

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
I had a mate work at a Nissan dealer in Sydney he was a mechanic and he said they would often skip changing oil filters and only drop the oil during a service.

My cousin just got his Subaru Serviced and he said they took photos and videos and showed him what they did

HarryHoudini

Reaction score
Members Ride
1991 VN Wagon..2012 VE Sportwagon.
I had a mate work at a Nissan dealer in Sydney he was a mechanic and he said they would often skip changing oil filters and only drop the oil during a service.

My cousin just got his Subaru Serviced and he said they took photos and videos and showed him what they did
Yes,common attitude in some greedy dealerships.

This always stuck in my mind,i used to work for GMAC in the 1980's,put the Co. car in for its 20,000(50,000?) service at a Sydney Dealership whilst i did a Floor Plan Audit. Lot of items to check/replace in the Log Book,a young apprentice drove the car into the workshop,dropped oil and replaced filter and drove it back to the lot in about 10 mins.Nothing else done.

When going to pick up the car/keys from Service i told the Girl nothing had been done besides the oil/filter,she called the Service manager who said everything was done and that i just didn't see it.
Explained to him i had been on the Lot all morning and i know exactly what was done.End result was he didn't budge and wouldn't give me the keys until i paid,major service that cost $200+.
Anyway i told my bosses who said they would look into it but nothing happened.

Point being its a jungle out there,lots of slack mechanics and Dealerships and hard to find a honest reliable one.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Yes,common attitude in some greedy dealerships.

This always stuck in my mind,i used to work for GMAC in the 1980's,put the Co. car in for its 20,000(50,000?) service at a Sydney Dealership whilst i did a Floor Plan Audit. Lot of items to check/replace in the Log Book,a young apprentice drove the car into the workshop,dropped oil and replaced filter and drove it back to the lot in about 10 mins.Nothing else done.

When going to pick up the car/keys from Service i told the Girl nothing had been done besides the oil/filter,she called the Service manager who said everything was done and that i just didn't see it.
Explained to him i had been on the Lot all morning and i know exactly what was done.End result was he didn't budge and wouldn't give me the keys until i paid,major service that cost $200+.
Anyway i told my bosses who said they would look into it but nothing happened.

Point being its a jungle out there,lots of slack mechanics and Dealerships and hard to find a honest reliable one.
Back in the late 80’s, being charged high rates while paying for work that wasn’t done was the last straw so that’s exactly why I started to service my own vehicles.

So bought some tools, bought more tools over the years, made a few small fubars in my time but we’ll ahead dollar wise.

It’s only been with my 2017 commodore Motorsport that I’ve ventured back into the dealer workshop since the cars under warranty (but that’s also been a less than pleasant experience at times).

CPS was also a factor that saw me going to the dealer but now, while the commodore is still under warranty, the dealer is claiming CPS is no longer available. So I’ve got to reevaluate where the car goes for service which at the mileage I do is hardly required. Guess I’ll probably start to service the commodore at home which probably means I’ll find a few things on its first home service that the dealer completely ignored :p:mad: