Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5w 30 vs 5w 40 in high km LFX

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
CPS was also a factor that saw me going to the dealer but now, while the commodore is still under warranty, the dealer is claiming CPS is no longer available. So I’ve got to reevaluate where the car goes for service which at the mileage I do is hardly required. Guess I’ll probably start to service the commodore at home which probably means I’ll find a few things on its first home service that the dealer completely ignored :p:mad:

Sorry I thought that CPS was lifetime for our Commodores? I’m sure they were sold as that and they are also written as lifetime in the service handbook?

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
previous owner was 20,000-25,000 intervals and figured I might get some internal sludge out with more frequent changes
Despite other peoples protestations on here the previous service interval won’t be a problem provided it was mostly highway mileage between services and a good quality oil was used.

Long intervals normally become a problem when the car is mostly doing stop start city driving or a crap oil is used.

The most important thing to do at the moment is religiously monitor the oil level/consumption. My old SV6 started burning oil at around 150,000kms so I changed to a 10w40 oil as it’s better to have a slightly “wrong” oil grade than no oil at all because the engine burns it all!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sorry I thought that CPS was lifetime for our Commodores? I’m sure they were sold as that and they are also written as lifetime in the service handbook?
Yeah, so did I…

Haven’t you heard, Holden is dead so “lifetime” is moot :p

Jokes aside, Holden did announce CPS being scaled back some time ago but I see it as a bait and switch… It should be available for 7 years on new cars which logically matches the warranty period for the last cars that were sold… They said:

Now US car giant General Motors has discreetly scaled back its guaranteed capped-price program to just seven years from the date of purchase when new, up to a maximum of 105,000km – and only for cars dating back to 2015, rather than 1948.

Yet my dealer interprets that as being CLS ceases once the car reaches it‘s 7th (105,000km) service which is just wrong considering my car has <<10,000kms on it… Its even wrong as the whole thing smacks of bait and switch…

I’ll revisit this (and another pooch screw on the dealers part) before the next service (in 6 more months) as they in effect have gone back on their advertised and contracted position (as was the case when I bought the car)…

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The most important thing to do at the moment is religiously monitor the oil level/consumption.
And looking under the valve covers for a visual inspection of the condition wouldn’t go astray either.

Something that was suggested to the OP early on but he doesn’t have the skill/confidence to do such…

Maybe he could use a cheap eBay borescope with his phone and that can be used for a look/see via the oil filler cap?