Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Angus5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I think we now see how the Australian made Commodore, was Holden’s reason to be as an auto maker, for what we are left with is a range of anonymous vehicles that are not everybodys cup of tea. The loss of an Aussie made car means a lot more than just having to warm to just another rebadged Opel. Let me explain.

I have read this thread with great interest and it seems we wouldn’t be having some of these discussions if things had turned out a little differently a little while ago. You see Australia lost something a few years ago; something called the car industry.

I have returned to work after being out of the workforce for some years. Talking to my lovely employment agent (landed a job with in days of signing up), I was appalled to hear of the employment situation in Northern Adelaide caused by the shut down of car manufacturing. She was explaining that it wasn’t just the loss of factory jobs and component suppliers nationwide, factor in the transport companies shuttling parts backwards and forwards, The companies supplying the embroidered uniforms, the legion of catering staff needed to keep these workers fed, the number of contractors required to maintain and upgrade the factories. Potentially 100,000’s of jobs, affected, reduced hours, or just plain lost.

I did a year out at Elizabeth many years ago, and I met so many great people who loved their job, who wanted to work and felt secure at Holden’s. I fear for many of them now. How did this loss happen? In my view it was caused by loss of subsidy – but which auto making country does not heavily subsidise? Also the artificially high Australian dollar for far too many years making imports too competitive. Perhaps we should have used this cheap import advantage to reinvest in tooling and equipment to strengthen Australian manufacturing.

The milk I have just stirred into my cup of tea is owned by the Italians. My neighbours pour Japanese owned milk on their froot loops. The biscuit emblazoned with Arnotts, that is now just soggy crumbs sinking in my tea, is really just a product of Campbells Soup.

Just as we have relinquished ultimate control of these aussie made foods to overseas boardrooms, with the gutting of the Holden production line, The boardroom of GM finally has it’s hands firmly around the throat of our beloved Aussie car company and, inconceivably might just throw it overboard.

I suggest we dedicate a day of mourning for what we have lost in this country. To say a final farewell to the boat load of companies that we have seen sail away, far from our shores. Maybe then we might, finally, wake up. Aussie made cars did mean a lot to us all, and for good reason.

Juiced_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Commodore VT Berlina 3.8 V6
i saw a wagon zb tourner, (like the advertura) in mineral black, and seen some other base model lts

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I think we now see how the Australian made Commodore, was Holden’s reason to be as an auto maker, for what we are left with is a range of anonymous vehicles that are not everybodys cup of tea. The loss of an Aussie made car means a lot more than just having to warm to just another rebadged Opel. Let me explain.

I have read this thread with great interest and it seems we wouldn’t be having some of these discussions if things had turned out a little differently a little while ago. You see Australia lost something a few years ago; something called the car industry.

I have returned to work after being out of the workforce for some years. Talking to my lovely employment agent (landed a job with in days of signing up), I was appalled to hear of the employment situation in Northern Adelaide caused by the shut down of car manufacturing. She was explaining that it wasn’t just the loss of factory jobs and component suppliers nationwide, factor in the transport companies shuttling parts backwards and forwards, The companies supplying the embroidered uniforms, the legion of catering staff needed to keep these workers fed, the number of contractors required to maintain and upgrade the factories. Potentially 100,000’s of jobs, affected, reduced hours, or just plain lost.

I did a year out at Elizabeth many years ago, and I met so many great people who loved their job, who wanted to work and felt secure at Holden’s. I fear for many of them now. How did this loss happen? In my view it was caused by loss of subsidy – but which auto making country does not heavily subsidise? Also the artificially high Australian dollar for far too many years making imports too competitive. Perhaps we should have used this cheap import advantage to reinvest in tooling and equipment to strengthen Australian manufacturing.

The milk I have just stirred into my cup of tea is owned by the Italians. My neighbours pour Japanese owned milk on their froot loops. The biscuit emblazoned with Arnotts, that is now just soggy crumbs sinking in my tea, is really just a product of Campbells Soup.

Just as we have relinquished ultimate control of these aussie made foods to overseas boardrooms, with the gutting of the Holden production line, The boardroom of GM finally has it’s hands firmly around the throat of our beloved Aussie car company and, inconceivably might just throw it overboard.

I suggest we dedicate a day of mourning for what we have lost in this country. To say a final farewell to the boat load of companies that we have seen sail away, far from our shores. Maybe then we might, finally, wake up. Aussie made cars did mean a lot to us all, and for good reason.
Hey you do realise that by making your own cup of tea you’re probably disadvantaging some close-by barista...sadly, it seems about the only thing Aussie industry can make for itself these days.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Saw a ZB police car this afternoon and a private one yesterday...there's certainly a few around. I could do with a nice walk along Piha beach tomorrow. The long wait for the replacement car is really starting to do my head in now !

Its darker than I would like. I prefer the fire engine red of my loan car (the LT) but in terms of Calais colours the Rioja red is quite nice but Holden have done some stunning metallic blue's in the past but we are now stuck with what Opel do which is a bit of a bummer.
I don't think there's anything else in terms of a medium sized car (hot hatches excepted) that's available at this price point that makes 191 kw and 350nm and is reasonably light and well capable with handling and I think that's the point a lot of people aren't realising. They simply think a faux 2.0 liter Commordoe...why would you bother ?...so they don't bother test driving it and don't know what they're missing. Subaru WRX makes similar solid numbers but is considerably more expensive and much smaller. A$24,000 for a demo LT with the balance of a five year warranty in my opinion is a screaming bargain for anyone who has an open mind and isn't put off by it not being Australian made.

Anyway...I've just emailed the dealer and told them how extremely annoyed I am that this fiasco still hasn't been sorted out. This coming Friday it will be 6 weeks since the engine seized. They've been told in no uncertain terms that I think this needs to be resolved without any further delay.
Nobody is buying them because traditionally GMs imported psa/daywoo/opal stuff has been garbage and the dealers couldn’t give a **** about their customers as you have demonstrated my friend. Obviously nothing has changed

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Nobody is buying them because traditionally GMs imported psa/daywoo/opal stuff has been garbage and the dealers couldn’t give a **** about their customers as you have demonstrated my friend. Obviously nothing has changed
The Commodore has been suffering a downturn in sales for nearly a decade. The shutdown of local manufacturing really just sealed its fate.

Angus5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
S n Corruption! You're right, Holden17.
No more tea for me
I must find my horn rimmed specs, squeeze into the tight jeans, slick back hair, hop on the orange fixed speed treadly, and ride down and join my childless, unaccountably wealthy, paisley scarf wearing, LoFi mono tape listening, chia porridge eating, craft gin drinking, shithouse art loving hipster comrades at the Artisan bakery and cafe and order a guatemalan pico biodynamic soy latte with a slice of something unpronouncable off a menu made of hand rolled papyrus and typed on a vintage typewriter, then sit down on a hessian pouffe and pretend to enjoy myself.

Anyone like to join me?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
No more tea for me
I must find my horn rimmed specs, squeeze into the tight jeans, slick back hair, hop on the orange fixed speed treadly, and ride down and join my childless, unaccountably wealthy, paisley scarf wearing, LoFi mono tape listening, chia porridge eating, craft gin drinking, shithouse art loving hipster comrades at the Artisan bakery and cafe and order a guatemalan pico biodynamic soy latte with a slice of something unpronouncable off a menu made of hand rolled papyrus and typed on a vintage typewriter, then sit down on a hessian pouffe and pretend to enjoy myself.

Anyone like to join me?
Naaaaaaaaaaa!

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
No more tea for me

Anyone like to join me?

I'd rather put my flanny on, grab my winnie blues, jump in my V8 Commodore and go to the pub for a pint and a parmi.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
I see not much has changed for General Motors.

Watch and listen to what Peter has to say back in 1974 and see if this rings any bells to what we are discussing here.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I remember that edition of Torque when it first aired. It was a real bucketing of the HJ and the HX which followed was even worse. It was only when RTS entered with the HZ that large Holdens became a decent drive.

Last edited: