Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Hey mate just went thru your pics and stuff that is one tough VH GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cheers mate!, I just spotted your VH thread! I'm going to have a read - looks tough as nails with those wheels & drop tank :)

any new updates?
no updates atm champ
been away with work a bit lately, so the VH has been having a bit of a holiday in my garage.
Not much more left to do to her now - I'm extremely pleased with it as it stands. Just a couple of bits left like getting the A/C working, fitting the Grp 3 rear spoiler and replace the scratched window tint and one day in the future a respray. But until then, I'm just going to enjoy driving it. I absolutely love it :)

chrisso 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore
Hey darren mate checkin thru your info on the car and read about your diff you still runnin the 10bolt and 3.08 gears? i have the same setup in my car but would like lower ratio for more pick up!!! have you ever looked into this option for the 10bolt????

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
cheers mate!, I just spotted your VH thread! I'm going to have a read - looks tough as nails with those wheels & drop tank :)

no updates atm champ
been away with work a bit lately, so the VH has been having a bit of a holiday in my garage.
Not much more left to do to her now - I'm extremely pleased with it as it stands. Just a couple of bits left like getting the A/C working, fitting the Grp 3 rear spoiler and replace the scratched window tint and one day in the future a respray. But until then, I'm just going to enjoy driving it. I absolutely love it :)

yeah work can be a pain eh? your vh is mint so i can see why you love it as it is. working a/c would be nice. in fact a/c would be nice in my vb full stop haha... damn fan isnt good enough! was only 30 degrees yesterday and i was boiling in the car! what colour are you thinking of respraying the vh? i personally like the colour it is currently, it just seems to look so good!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
hey Chrisso, I actually had to replace the diff centre when I first bought the SS, because one of the spider gears was chipped.

I had the opportunity to choose another ratio at the time, and after careful consideration I decided to stay with the 3.08 gears. Whilst I love a track day and lower gears would liven the car up even more, I also love my big road trips - last road trip was a 1800km round trip and planning on doing a trip down to Bathurst soon which is another 2000km return trip. 3.08 gears keep the fuel economy at an acceptable level and less wear on the engine. So I decided to stay with the trusty 3.08 gears. And surprisingly the performance is still very impressive, even with the highway gears!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah work can be a pain eh? your vh is mint so i can see why you love it as it is. working a/c would be nice. in fact a/c would be nice in my vb full stop haha... damn fan isnt good enough! was only 30 degrees yesterday and i was boiling in the car! what colour are you thinking of respraying the vh? i personally like the colour it is currently, it just seems to look so good!

thanks again Ryan, did you end up picking up that VH from the dealer ?

yeah work sucks, I head off into central Qld usually at 2 least weeks out of a month. But the travel allowance comes in handy to fund my toys lol
agreed A/C is nice, maybe I'm getting old, but I really hate driving in summer without A/C - and I don't really want ruin the interior by sweating all over it. I've just got to wire a couple of relays up to the ECU, get a couple of hoses made up to fit the VR compressor, gas it and I'm done. I'm also in the process of working out how to fit up a VR cruise control module. I found myself an original SL/E cruise control switch to match my dark claret colour, so just need to figure out how to wire it through the VR module and I have cruise too!

Don't worry, I love the maranello red too! I always wanted a red VH SS, so I'll be getting it resprayed in the same colour. Paintwork looks good on first inspection, but upon close inspection it's got a fair few problems. The guy I originally bought it off, is a panel beaters son. He claims it was sprayed in 2 pack, I reckon it's acrylic..... and obviously his prep wasn't real good, because there is moisture under the paint in places and the black around the windows is starting to flake in small patches - luckily the original black paint underneath has stayed on. So whilst it's not a huge problem at the moment, I forsee there being problems down the track. So once I get my shed built, I'll strip it down and take it to a good panel shop for a good quality respray. I plan on hanging onto her, so any money spent on a paint job won't be wasted.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
nah i ended up picking up a vb with a vk 308 black motor and m20 4 spd =) a/c really is a wonderful invention. i may contemplate retrofitting it to my vb at some stage but by the time ill have the funds to do it the worst of summer will be over! im glad your sticking with the current colour as it really does suit the vh shape so well

chrisso 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore
gday darren thanks for the comments on my car mate !!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't believe i painted the car too ha ha ha .
About your diff mate did you get a spool fitted or is it open wheeler still???????
I started a thread on here about mini spool into 10bolt if you could shed some light on it that would be great!!!!!!!!!!!!
THANKS

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
my diff is a LSD chrisso - standard equipment on a SS
I wouldn't recommend running a spool on the street, apart from being illegal, they can be quite dangerous in the wet + hard on your axles and tyres
Go with a LSD if you can, they hook up both tyres fairly well.

chrisso 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore
hey mate what sort of dollars would a LSD cost and where would i get them from ?????????????

Last edited: