Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS light on but no error code.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Ok so just looking at prices on ebay, but how do i tell its the right one? Or even worth buying? Any tell tail signs i should avoid (other then normal ebay stuff)

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
you need to perform the diagnostics before you buy anything
what part are you talking about buying
i would either buy new or buy from wreckers with warranty
if you buy from ebay and its faulty you are stuck with it

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
what part are you talking about buying
i would either buy new or buy from wreckers with warranty
if you buy from ebay and its faulty you are stuck with it

many wreckers are on eBay and will give you a warranty, I assume he's referring to the ABS module.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
There is a part number on your abs module. Make sure you get one with the same part number. You also need to make sure you get one that supports traction control if you have it at the moment.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
There is a part number on your abs module. Make sure you get one with the same part number. You also need to make sure you get one that supports traction control if you have it at the moment.

This, be sure to get the same one - the module needs to be removed to see the label.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon

what do you mean by diagnostics? what do i need to look for? or ask for at the mechanics?
Your all giving me a whole lot of what, no how or why.
This is incredibly frustrating? Is it to much to ask for a strait answer?
I'm a 20 yo girl who knows very little about cars, hell i didnt really know much ABS, didnt even know there was such part as an ABS modual.
So when answering can you please really break it down and tell me exactly what i need to do to get this fixed.
Sorry if this sounds b**chy but im just getting extremely frustrated with thinking im getting somewhere with fixing my car but then getting thrown a few steps back.
i thank you for the help but its all beating round the bush

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
ok so now i have that out of the way ive been looking at some stuff but i dont understand it.
so could someone do me a solid and like dumb it down for me and put it into non car speak?

"traction Control - The Traction control warning lamp and engine check lamp may illuminate in Some VX V6's, due to oversensitive PCM calibration. GMH have found there was some software timing issues in the PCM (Powertrain Control Module), and revised PCM software was introduced early 2001."

my car is 2000 model so is that something i should look into - but how do i look into this? is updating software an easy/cheap job?

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Software upgrade are done at Holden dealerships they arnt know for being wallet friendly for anything

Hold the mode and up arrow then turn the key to acc , let go of buttons and it will beep ( this is diagnostics mode on the dash )
Start car and push mode till you find the volts ( should be around V14.4 when running ) if it's going all over the place or reading higher it's a charging issue in the alternator
Costs nothing and eliminates the alternator as a problem
Switch the car off and the screen will reset to normal mode

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Thankyou will do that sometime this or next week. :)
And then if that come up with nothing ill see if any mechanics can look at the sensors or even if i can find an abs modual that match my car at a local wreakers that does retures to see if that fixes the problem so if it doesnt then i can take it back.
But if it does come down to the PMC modual is the software in the actual modual or is it in the main computer of my car (besically if i change the modual does that fix the software problems?) But philangies crossed that it doesnt come to that.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Find a mechanic with a OBD -2 scan tool , they can check a lot of problems and functions with it

pretty sure if you change either the PCM ,BCM or ECU yoneed to get it linked by a tech 2 scanner or your car won't start

You have 3 "computers" in the car
ECU
PCM
BCM
All these "talk" to each other and the key to say it's good to start
If you change one of them then it needs to be programmed into the car