Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ABS light on but no error code.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Bit of a silly question but can i just disconect the abs unit? No abs unit no abs problem?
Just until i get it fixed?
Just want to make sure that VXs dont have to have the abs to drive.

If you disconnect the ABS you will still have the ABS warning light and probably the traction off light.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
A failing alternator or battery can throw the electrics into a hissy and chuck lights on and off

My vx had all lights come on ABS / airbag / power / battery / engine lit up but speedo / tachometer / fuel and temp gauge dropped to nothing but car still ran fine
Alternator was dead

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
The traction control off light is already on..
And i only have the 3 lights up, and nothing wrong with anything else in the dash.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Ok so i took it out for a test drive the today. After i changed the reverse light.
And if i leave it on but not with the engin on (if that makes sence) for 5 minutes the lights turn off and im able to turn the traction control on and off when i turn the car on still fine but as soon as i start moving and the breaks are used the abs and traction control with the engin light following a few seconds later.
(I also have the airbag light keep popping up because of something the guy changeing my seat did so theres that too)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Ok so i took it out for a test drive the today. After i changed the reverse light.
And if i leave it on but not with the engin on (if that makes sence) for 5 minutes the lights turn off and im able to turn the traction control on and off when i turn the car on still fine but as soon as i start moving and the breaks are used the abs and traction control with the engin light following a few seconds later.
(I also have the airbag light keep popping up because of something the guy changeing my seat did so theres that too)

If you have an existing code get that cleared first and go from there.

Bear in mind the ABS lamp may be just a part of the symptoms.

NO HOON

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV
I've been having a similar issue, but my Trac Off light was only turning on. Another member posted this: http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...ontrol-light-randomlly-turns.html#post2773346

So first off i'd be checking for an error code. If you have done that and nothing shows check for some sort of electrical fault which is triggering the module to turn the Trac Off and trigger the ABS, also a good idea to have a look around at your sensors to see if they're damaged. If everything seems fine so far then check the battery charge level using a Multimeter, if that seems a bit low then it can be your alternator causing the fault which is tripping your ABS module and not charging your battery fully. After you've done all that, i'd start to consider that it's just your ABS Module which is stuffed. A V6 one is fairly cheap, V8 is around $700 :L.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
I said in my first post in this forum that there are no codes and the mechanic cleared them but they keep come back on.

Thekayyceeful

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx wagon
Will have a look at the battery after the radius arms are changed (i mean it could a be a long shot but they make the wheel wobble when i break so idk if the could be off setting the sensor)
The alternator i think was recently changed. But i could try another battery.
Also i should mention as it come to mind - i brough it in july and it hasnt been driven much other then trips to the mechanic and an odd test drive here and there (it being unregoed and unroadworthy cant really just take it out for a cruise) and before then the previous owner wasnt driving it much since may - so could that in anyway have caused any of this. (I think at this point in reaching for a simple and low cost option - shes been a bit of a pain in the but since i got her so she better be worth it).
Also can i just ask that people read the whole tread so your not just repeating what other people are saying. I will get to looking at the sensors and the abs modual .. when i can afford it (the parts may be cheap (or what you think is cheap) but then there is also getting tests to find out what sensor so i dont blow all my money on replacing all of them)
Right now I am looking to either rule out or narrow down the serch as much as i can without spending money before spending too much money on something compleatly wrong.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
not to repeat what other people are saying
but there are two common causes
most likely is abs module
located on right front wheel arch in engine bay
simply disconnect plug from abs module, will cost you nothing
you will have abs and trac lights lit and the abs will not function, it is okay to drive but abs will be off
all other warning lights should behave normally
and there will be no codes set
second most likely is alternator overcharging
but normally speedo and tacho malfunction as well as warning lights
and again no codes set
you can use mode and up buttons to enter engineering test on dashboard and see your voltage, will cost you nothing
VT-VX Hidden Trip Computer
beware there is a lot of bs in this post
i know my posts are correct though
any other problem should set a code
beware some cheap scan tools will clear an srs code but leave lamp lit and then it is tricky to turn light off
so until these are checked we will keep repeating