Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VF] Add a high tone horn to VF2 (2016+) Commodore/ Calais models

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Parts used:
  • OE 500 Hz High Tone horn (ebay). Cost me $15 shipped, after discounts
  • Pig tail/ extension for the horn (AliExpress). Cost me $8 shipped, after discounts. Note: pick the one marked as "for Ford"
Tools used:
  • 10mm socket
  • Short handle socket wrench (longer handles will not work in that confined space)
  • Hammer
  • Flat head screwdriver or trim removal tool
  • Holden supplied allen key (to remove the wheelhouse liner)
  • Head-torch or similar light source
Other items used:
  • Generous amounts of cursing. Pick your favourites.
  • Band-aid for the major cuts/ scratches
Note: My car is a MY16 VF Calais V (i.e. VF2) and came with a pathetic single unit horn. The setup described here uses the existing 15A fuse and (non removable) horn relay in VF2 cars. Basic calculations show that this setup should pose no electrical issues. If you are in doubt, please consult an auto electician before proceeding.

Process:
  1. Park the car with the steering wheel turned all the way to the right. Removing the front right wheel will make this process a lot more easier (but where is the fun in that?)
  2. Use the allen key to remove the seven screws from the driver side wheel house liner. Refer to page 1770 of the VF workshop manual for details.
  3. Use the flat head screwdriver to remove the plastic screw clip. Refer to page 1770 of the VF workshop manual for details.
  4. You should now be able to pull back/ move the wheel well liner and locate the existing low tone horn
  5. Locate the electrical connection to the low tone horn and disconnect it. Look at the connector on the pig tail/ extension to figure out how that connector works.
  6. There is a single bolt holding the horn in place. Reach behind the horn and use a 10mm socket remove the bolt completely. Note: the bottom part of horn clamp has a part of some wiring harness clipped to it. Pay attention to avoid damage to that harness.
  7. Use a hammer/ other tools to straighten out the clamp on the new horn - to ensure that the new horn unit rests in place (as indicated below) without interfering with the wheel well liner, fog lamp or the existing horn. This is going to be a trial-and-error affair unless you are good at metal fabrication
  8. Loosen the nut holding the new horn to its clamp. This will help you with the alignment/ adjustments in the next step
  9. Use the bolt removed in step# 6 to secure both horn units. Don't tighten this bolt for now.
  10. Align the new horn units and make sure that it is not touching the interfering with the wheel well liner, fog lamp or the existing horn. Once you are happy with the setup, tighten the bolt (from step# 6) and the nut (from step# 8). Note: to avoid water ingress, make sure that the mouth/ opening of the horn faces downwards.
  11. Connect the pig tail/ extension and test if both units are working as expected
  12. Put the wheel well liner back in position and secure it with the screws and the plastic clip
You should now have a "proper" horn on your VF2 Commodore/ Calais :)

Position of the screws and plastic clip mentioned in #2 & #3:
1667455692351.png

New horn installation:
Assembly view.png

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline 6.2 LS3 6 speed manual
Thanks for the great advice. Fitted the extra horn today - a piece of cake with your concise instructions.

Took the soft approach and removed the wheel. Minimal cursing and nil injuries to report.

I no longer have to pretend it wasn't my horn in traffic

Thanks again

Runts32

SSV Redline 6.2 LS3 six speed manual

Loupy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Calias v series 2
Those are great instructions, but cant find the connector, is there a parts number please

runts32

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline 6.2 LS3 6 speed manual
I assume you are talking about extension pig tail? The The link in Mad Max's post takes you straight to the Aliexpress page (crap website) Just select the Ford lead as suggested

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Parts used:

• Pig tail/ extension for the horn (AliExpress). Cost me $8 shipped, after discounts. Note: pick the one marked as "for Ford"
What was the 'search criteria' you used at AliExpress?

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
I used a few combinations like horn harness, horn pigtail etc. to get the right products listed. To get to the item I bought, use the link above (works for me) or try using "Car Horn Adapter Pigtail" as the search text. The item name on the listing is "shhworldsea 1pcs Car Horn Speaker Adapter Pigtail Socket two special line beam horn Wiring Harness for vw for audi for hyundai"

Aliexpress is pretty inconsistant when it comes to overall user experience, search consistency etc. YMMV.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thank you! When I click on your link, it is the AliExpress home page.
Your description worked very well! First time ordering from AliExpress.

Marti_O

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 HSV Clubsport SV Black MY2016
Well done legend, such a comprehensive set of instructions.
Ordered the parts and completed the job in under 1.5 hours.
I also removed the wheel to save my knuckles and sanity.
Many thanks, I am no longer ashamed of my horn.

Attachments

• SMSP Track Day Img 2 Small.jpg
    SMSP Track Day Img 2 Small.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 37

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well done legend, such a comprehensive set of instructions.
Ordered the parts and completed the job in under 1.5 hours.
I also removed the wheel to save my knuckles and sanity.
Many thanks, I am no longer ashamed of my horn.
Gen F's never came with dual horns?