Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Another CAI question...

01VU2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II Ute
Ok, firstly i apologise in advance for asking a question on this topic, i CAN use the search tool and i know theres squillions of threads on CAI's. HOWEVER im asking a pretty specific question and i cant seem to find the answer.
SO, i have a vu series II ute and im servicing it and i was going to dump a K&N air filter in there and i thought i might as well go all out and put in a CAI. now i dont want a pod on a pole, firstly because i reckon it makes sense that they are getting warm air, and secondly because i heard theres some legal issues with them. ( i dunno, just going off what a mate told me). i cant really justify hundreds of dollars for an SS system lyk the growler, and from what iv heard, you can get great results from running a pipe down behind the bumper from the stock airbox, AND using a pod filter inside the box as opposed to a panel. this sounds cool but im in QLD and it regularly buckets down with rain so id lyk to know pplz opinions on this system, and whether they think itl suck up a puddle. obviously the alternative to dropping a pipe down behind the bumper is an OTR system, which seems to just be a bigger scoop... i know u can get one from holden and if it works just as well as the pipe but its less likely to cause hydrolock then ill go with that one, but i can only seem to find VS model scoops for the super6 and im wondering if they will fit on my car?
long question, i know. but any answers would be appreciated.
cheers.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I think you will find that this has been answered too.

But here it is again, water will not make it through the filter.
1: It is covered in oil if it is a reusable one and oil repels water.
2: Water doesn't go through an air filter.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
If you're still worried, leave the factory air intake open on the airbox as well, the vacuum won't be enough to pull the water up the pipe. (just don't plough puddles)

saundyvx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX berlina
mate I've got a naturally aspirated v6 and i've put in a K&N panel and put a pool hose down to the bumper and i've never had an issue. I also took some side cutters to the stock air scoop to widen it. water will not make it all the way up the pipe, through the bends and like the other posts said through the filter. Those SS air intakes are criminally priced, go for the DIY