Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another exhaust thread

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I was only using 27% as an example because that is what Pirate had. And I was working it backwards using 27% as the figure to be ADDED to RWKW as a drive train loss. I wasn't quoting actual losses or gains, just using 27% of 190. If you use 70kW, then it's closer to 37% of 190.

If you had a 70kW power loss through the drivetrain on a standard engine, then you would still have a 70kW loss no matter what you did to the engine, that is how many kW it takes to overcome drive train inertia. So 70kW added to 190 gives you a starting figure of 260FWKW, if you now have 230RWKW, + 70, gives you 310FWKW. Example only using 70kW though. Even if you went from 190RWKW NA and turbo'd it up to 800RWKW you would still have 70kW as your drive train loss.

I don't have any dyno sheets myself, but I may be able to find one.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I think we're both saying the same thing NAAF. I would be interested in a dyno sheet if you can get one.

Cheers

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Not Manta, but still 4-1's, high flow cats and a free flowing system with a tune.

And another

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks NAAF.
At 238, and 234kW base, neither if these are a standard 6.0L L98 or L77. They're also revving well beyond the 6050rpm limit of a standard L77. I'd hazard a guess they are 317, and 307 LS2's respectively. The first example ahs picked up 39rwkW (similar to mine), and the second 30. Still pretty good numbers though.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
They are both VE SS 6.0L.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok - but why are they both making more power standard, than mine with extractors, 2.5" exhaust, OTR and a Gentech tune. They're not is the answer, it just doesn't add up. Either the base rwkW's were not standard, or they're very happy Dyno's! A standard VE SS does not make 238rwkW standard.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
How can anyone prove that their dyno's are accurate? There are so many factors that effect this, but it's the 38.9kw improvement that matters in the above example. The dyno's are really just a tuning tool, and for some, bragging rights.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Totally agree Duaned. That's my point though. The increase on the best of these examples is the same as mine at around 40rwkW's. But there is a big difference between my base of 190ish, and the 238 in the above chart. The base above is 8kW higher than mine after my headers, exhaust, OTR and tune. It's just not possible. Surely there's not a 48kW difference between the two dyno's? Something just isn't stacking up. Either mine is a lot higher than 190rwkw standard, or the above examples are overstated? What I do know though is mine goes way, way better than standard, and did so before the tune as well.
I'll be posting my dyno sheets after the cat upgrade.

Foggsy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS Sedan M6
NAAF I agree with the driveline loss remaining the same but I just checked the HPF website and that dyno sheet is for an ls3. They have another one also for an L98 and is went from like 202 to 24x. Tunehouse use a hub dyno not chassis dyno so wheel diameter and tyre pressure domnt even come into it for their measurement.

I reckon a good otr like a duspeed, good 4 into 1 headers like hurricane or pacie, 3 inch in out cats and a free flowing 2.5inch system and a half decent tune and you should be picking up 60rwkw using the same chassis dyno before and after.

just my opinion

They are both VE SS 6.0L.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm. Thought as much. Had to be non-standard or HSV. As I said it just didn't add up.

So again I've picked up 30-40rwkW, for $2K. The only second hand parts were the GTS headers, cats and 2.5" cat back. All of these had done far less km's than my system which had 8k on the odo. They looked virtually brand new.
There is some low hanging fruit left to pick for me. A set of high flow cats and my Redline will be well beyond a W310 for less than 50% of the cost. With those very effective standard rear mufflers, it's got a great note that I can live with every day too, no drone, no hassle from the popo, oh but when you hit the throttle...Barrruppp.
Say 2500-$2750, with all Holden/HSV parts except for the OTR. Note also that Gentech are a Walky agent and if you talk to them, like me your warranty worries will be goooonnneee. These guys tune Holden's for Holden, they do Walky tunes and their own tune is better!
Get amongst it.