Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

another exhaust thread

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Thanks Pir4te,

I need to try it again with the standard air box. I've been told it will improve the 0-100 over my current OTR CAI!
here's a link to a video of my cars exhaust note (when hot) from behind. Sorry about the phone getting blown over by all those high velocity exhaust gasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwi_0G7Ygs0

Exhaust sound sorta blows you away!! Sounds good.

Last edited:

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Thanks heaps too Pir4te for all your advice whilst I was deliberating on this and that re the exhaust. I shot a trillion questions at you and your advice was always spot on. Same for NAAF. Much appreciated!

The car really boogies, and it sounds spot on in comparison to what I wanted too. Certainly GTS cats are a little restrictive, compared to a good quality aftermarket set. Yes there are no doubt better headers too (this will be the next thing I do). But for the money, the "bang for your buck" is undeniable. For around 1/3 the price of a Walkinshaw W310 pack I've got virtually, if not the same power. Although even if I was say 10-15kW down on a W310, I've got another $4K+ to throw at it before I've spent the same as a Walky pack. Which I was certainly considering.
Oh and I'll probably go with a Walky / VCM OTR next too.
Current mods:
CAI OTR
E3 Cats & headers
Gen-F 2.5 stainless exhaust
Gentech tune.
Verdict:
The car sounds great and has awesome power and torque on tap, all for a little over $2K.
It's not for everyone, but this set up ahs certainly worked for me.
Cheers

benSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
For a bit over 2k Cuda, sounds like its worked out alright mate, enjoy!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Thanks Pir4te,

I need to try it again with the standard air box. I've been told it will improve the 0-100 over my current OTR CAI!
here's a link to a video of my cars exhaust note (when hot) from behind. Sorry about the phone getting blown over by all those high velocity exhaust gasses!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwi_0G7Ygs0

So you think your OTR is letting you down 0-100? I'd say you can get a better time by pre-loading the stall with traction off no spare wheel or extra weight. Should do about a second better with your mods.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Gents,

I'm not convinced on the restrictive OTR comment. But putting the standard box back on for a head to head comparison will settle the debate.
I know I got an improvement after fitting the OTR, but the pre tune dyno said otherwise??? So many variables I know, but the tuner said he had to really work to get the results with that OTR, and what he referred to as a "standard exhaust". It's no doubt a bit down on what I'd expected, but it's about how it drives. The car went considerable harder with the OTR, headers, cats and 2.5' cat back. Yet the pre tune dyno said 206rwk...WTF? Sad dyno perhaps? When I first drove it after the tune there felt to be little difference, in fact bottom end torque seem less? But after filling with BP 98 it picked up considerably. It now definitely feels stronger.
The 0-120km/h video was not a high stall launch, simply left it in drive and hit the throttle. I know it would go better with no TC, loaded stall, and manual shift. But apples with apples with BP fuel it seems more torquey and powerful, a good note and a considerable improvement in fuel consumption. I reckon around 4.8 0-100 is achievable with the current set-up. It's not a drag car, but knowing that I've gotten he best result with the mods and for my hard earned $ is still important to me!
Time to ponder.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Results and expectations are two different things. You aren't entirely happy with the result. Imagine how much more responsive it would be with a proper exhaust and headers rather than the "standard" exhaust.

Tuners play with these cars all the time, they know the benefits of a free flowing system and good intake. One compliments the other. You can have the best flowing intake you can find, but it can only take in as much as the exhaust flow allows.

I'm not knocking your results, or trying to tell you what you have done is wrong. It's just reward for effort really, all that time and energy for a small gain. Although bang for buck is probably good.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
I have to agree NAAF. 50fwkW for around $2k. You've got to be happy with that. The same result from Walky would have cost >$6K.
I know your systems are good, and believe me, I came within a phone call of ordering. But happened upon the HSV system. The good thing is that I don't mind experimenting, and with my current set up a simple mod to my cats may well deliver significant results. If not then high flow cats and aftermarket headers may be the next step.
As I said the path I took is not for everyone, and a few months ago I would have scoffed at it to. But it's worked for me thus far. As you correctly point out it's about aligning expectations with reality.
Interesting the tuner seemed more critical of the intake than the standard exhaust.
I've built to a budget and am pleased with the results. No doubt there is more scope for improvement for little effort. But I would not begrudge anyone going straight for the top shelf...Whatever that is. In fact I'd recommend it if money was not a consideration. I'm just a tight arse!

benSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Thanks Gents,

I'm not convinced on the restrictive OTR comment. But putting the standard box back on for a head to head comparison will settle the debate.
I know I got an improvement after fitting the OTR, but the pre tune dyno said otherwise??? So many variables I know, but the tuner said he had to really work to get the results with that OTR, and what he referred to as a "standard exhaust". It's no doubt a bit down on what I'd expected, but it's about how it drives. The car went considerable harder with the OTR, headers, cats and 2.5' cat back. Yet the pre tune dyno said 206rwk...WTF? Sad dyno perhaps? When I first drove it after the tune there felt to be little difference, in fact bottom end torque seem less? But after filling with BP 98 it picked up considerably. It now definitely feels stronger.

Interesting….. but ive had a couple of shops tell me that they've had stock VF 8's at low 190rwkw on dyno….

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Interesting….. but ive had a couple of shops tell me that they've had stock VF 8's at low 190rwkw on dyno….

Sounds about right for a standard and still very tight auto L77 I suppose Ben.

The curves tell the story for me, and mine is up about 20-25% on standard for both HP and TQ. Again not a bad result, for less than I was quoted locally to fit an X-Force cat back!

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Have you got pics of your graphs? A 50kw improvement seems over zealous for your mods in my opinion. Especially if they say the OTR is holding back results!