Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any issues with ve or vf wagons?

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
For known issues with a V8, I think the lifters in an AFM 6.0 are often raised as being an issue. I have an AFM '09 SS with 73,000 Km on it and I do get lifter rattle on start up but mostly when I haven't used the car for a week or so. I don't use the SS as a daily, I have a little Fiesta I use to commute to work in Sydneys crap traffic. I am averaging a blistering 26Km/h in my commute to work since about the end of January, last year was usually about 32-33km/h.

how do you mean lifters are an issue? and is it an expensive fix?
cheers Rob

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I believe the lifters can collapse and also cause excessive wear/ damage to the cam, maybe someone else can give a better explanation. I think it isn't cheap to fix this, maybe about $3000, the AFM cars are the 6.0 autos from 2009 until late 2015 (recognisable also by the AFM badging on the car). Holden dropped AFM with the VF II.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Yep, should be, a non AFM car (if auto) will be 2008 or older. Depends where you want to be with the age of the car, and if auto or manual (you can't buy a manual wagon in a VF - so early 2013 (last of VEII's) was the last wagons made in manual.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
There were some manual VF's, I was pointed to one for sale when I first joined this forum.
Undoubtedly rare though.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
All manual V8's don't have AFM. The lifter fail is a rarity in any event, not the norm.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Active Fuel Management. Basically turns off 4 cylinders when not required.

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
ok so a 2012 onwards auto or manual 3.6 or a 2009 onwards v8 have minimal issues and nothing to really worry about as long as we get one with full service history, correct?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
I was under the impression that all L77's had AFM lifters but only the auto utilizes the AFM function of the engine.

Don't know if that means they're also compromised in the manual, but from 2 years of flicking forums, I would agree with SnowDoggyDogg that lifter fail does seem to be a rarity.

But if you had to point a finger at the weakest link, it probably would be them.