Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

any issues with ve or vf wagons?

VESSVUTE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Sportswagon
They actually have different engines.
Manual L98
Auto L77 - AFM

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
VE series 2 and VF series 1 both have L77, regardless of transmission.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I was under the impression that all L77's had AFM lifters but only the auto utilizes the AFM function of the engine.

Don't know if that means they're also compromised in the manual
I believe that as a potential weak-point, it doesn't matter whether they're used; if they're there, they've got as much chance of failing whether they're used or not.
From what I've been reading on this forum (where turning off the AFM function just involves "flicking a switch" in the ECU program), I suspect the hardware is identical between autos & manuals with the L77 (as noted by Banjo79 VE-II onwards), and the AFM function as well as the manual's 270kW vs auto's 260kW are all down to tune.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
gsxr600 - Are you keeping up.....

May I suggest you buy your v8, sell your soul for no less than $4000 and get a cam package that will give you some reliable lifters, better sound and more power.

As Nike says.......

gsxr600

Reaction score
Members Ride
nothing yet
Barely keeping up lol, but the lure of a v8 and cam and exhaust is almost to much to handle. The $3000 for a full system and $? for a cam may settle me back down however!!!

ShadesLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
There were some manual VF's, I was pointed to one for sale when I first joined this forum.
Undoubtedly rare though.
Yes, there are manual VFs, and even manual V8 VFs, however they never made a manual wagon, 6 or 8.
Few people even went to Holden requesting a manual SSV or SS wagon and we're told they weren't offered.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, there are manual VFs, and even manual V8 VFs, however they never made a manual wagon, 6 or 8.
Few people even went to Holden requesting a manual SSV or SS wagon and we're told they weren't offered.
While this is all true officially, I've seen two manual VF SSV Redline SportWagons for sale.

How they exist you wouldn't know without finding whoever-had-them-made. Building one would be a pretty expensive proposition for most people, so my guess would be something like a dealer principal REALLY wanting one & parts becoming available for some reason. Could be an enthusiast, but although it should be a straight swap I'll bet there's a poofight involved in getting all the electronomical gubbins to talk to each other.

ShadesLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Series II SV6 Sportswagon
While this is all true officially, I've seen two manual VF SSV Redline SportWagons for sale.

How they exist you wouldn't know without finding whoever-had-them-made. Building one would be a pretty expensive proposition for most people, so my guess would be something like a dealer principal REALLY wanting one & parts becoming available for some reason. Could be an enthusiast, but although it should be a straight swap I'll bet there's a poofight involved in getting all the electronomical gubbins to talk to each other.
That sounds exactly right. I figure there's a good chance anything is possible with the right backing, but they will take a bit of fighting. I'm guessing it had to do with the body control module, being different sedan to wagon and Holden not caring to make a manual wagon one for the VF.
I was told by one of those people it was something to do with space but I call BS on that, space wise it shouldn't have been much different from a Manual VF or a V8 VE really, same structures in there.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was told by one of those people it was something to do with space but I call BS on that, space wise it shouldn't have been much different from a Manual VF or a V8 VE really, same structures in there.
Agreed - especially given that HSV had manual Tourers on the price-list when the Gen-F first came out!
Looks like only 2013 & 2014 models (appears both are "MY2014"), and they were canned for MY2015.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...

Maybe the adverts were just wrong?