Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Apple CarPlay on VF

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Are the instructions available to look at somewhere?

info on how to get it is on their facebook page Envyous Customs

they have it on a dropbox link and i wont share that but you can get it sent to you by messaging them on facebook and asking for it.

vss304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V Wagon
Hey mate, no photos of the install itself, it was pretty easy and the supplied instructions are good at the actual radio removal

Hey mate, so all the HUD integrates and works perfectly?
Thanks for posting, I’m about 99% doing this next week as mylink is ruuuuubbish

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Hey mate, so all the HUD integrates and works perfectly?
Thanks for posting, I’m about 99% doing this next week as mylink is ruuuuubbish

I don't have a HUD (standard SS) but none of the IPC functions work (e.g. the Nav page). The phone apps aren't provisioned for vehicle connectivity. A small price to pay I reckon.

MaxCommie689

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Calais V
Apparently touch screens in general and Apple Car Play/ Android Auto specifically "could" get us killed ;)

IAM Roadsmart (a charity based in UK) recently undertook a research which shows that the latest in-vehicle infotainment systems significantly impair driver reaction times.

Key findings included the following:

• Ability to control the vehicle’s position, maintain a consistent speed and maintain a safe gap to the vehicle in front - suffered significantly while using touch controls
• Reaction time was higher & drivers failed to react more often to a stimulus on the road ahead when interacting with Car Play or Android Auto. Reaction times when using touch control was significantly worse than texting while driving
• Use of either system via touch control caused drivers to take their eyes off the road for longer than NHTSA recommended levels

The full report can be accessed here.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Because that report is aiming for sensationalism (and to cause the "well, der" reaction from sensible people), I'll bet it never compares touch-screen usage to adjust the stereo to reaching over & twiddling some knobs under the same driving circumstances ... and I'll also bet it never compares touch-screen usage of a SatNav system to opening a street-directory & reading it while driving ...

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
^ Because that report is aiming for sensationalism (and to cause the "well, der" reaction from sensible people), I'll bet it never compares touch-screen usage to adjust the stereo to reaching over & twiddling some knobs under the same driving circumstances ... and I'll also bet it never compares touch-screen usage of a SatNav system to opening a street-directory & reading it while driving ...

It doesn't look like it does which makes for a reduced impact of the study. However a fixed position, single purpose volume or temperature knob is much easier to manipulate without removing your eyes from the road, after some muscle memory is learned. A touch screen will never do this as the tactile response is poor, even with haptic feedback etc.

The trend for modern cars is definitely a declutter approach with multilayer menus and screens to access even simple commands. I've not driven a very new car where the traditional button is replaced with a large display (volvo, tesla, audi etc). They look good in the showroom when stationary, but must be much more distracting while driving.
But that is what the public wants, 95% aren't interested in driving, just arriving at point B.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I haven’t read the report but my personal experience is that single function buttons and muscle memory makes it much easier to operate, and thus safer than touch screens with multi level menus. I hate touch panels, especially on our normal bumpy roads.

I also don’t like the single function touch slide panels used for HVAC on the insignia of 5 or so years ago (more complex and expensive to fix when it stops working)...

Surely there must be some method agnostic ADR that discusses safety requirements on UI design.... Only seen position placement rules for some instruments but nothing more...

Cars are getting too smart but they’ll push us into the back seat soon enough tha5 poor UI design becomes irrelevant.

Arkhon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS-V MY2016
Been lurking here for a while, but gonna pitch in on this topic as I bit the bullet back in June and bought and installed the Alpine i902 (Not the X902, didn't see value in the +$1000 extra cost for Nav when its got AAuto/Carplay anyway)

First up, if you're doing the install yourself, be aware the included in instructions are a bit crap, the included wiring diagram is for the generic 902 head unit, not the VF wiring kit. Some parts are missing from the parts list and the install guide entirely, and some sections are vague. "Simply route the USB & HDMI cable through the centre console" becomes an entire morning of swearing and lost bolts.

(Also the VF wiring kit in mine was missing a part of the grounding wire so doubletriple check it all before tearing things apart)

Nav in the HUD or the screen in the cluster does not work. All guidance is on the Alpine screen or voice only. If you had OEM Nav, the cluster screen will show the option for Navigation, but it never changes.

The Bad

The super shiny Piano Black finish is a fingerprint magnet, as is the screen. Need to see if I can find some sort of anti-fingerprint screen protector.

The screen is very poor when under full sun. Fingerprints and a mostly black interface theme make everything hard to see.

It uses the headlights to determine if Google Maps should be in Day or Night mode. If you have your headlights on Auto, there's a delay before they turn on, then there's another delay before the maps UI changes. If all you did was pass under a bridge, then its a good couple seconds before the map flicks to dark mode, then back again. (Maybe specific to Android Auto? You can force it to not do this and always be day or night mode )

Rear-view camera screen is not great, takes a while to cut out when moving forward again, has reversing distance lines but they do not move with the steering angle.

The Good

It's not MyLink. It's fast and very responsive. AAuto/Carplay with up to date maps and live traffic is A+

When its not covered in fingerprints it looks really tidy, like its meant to be there.

There is a ton of audio control options, I still have the standard speakers and it can get a very decent sound out of them. It uses the OEM microphone for voice control and phone calls too so you won't need to stick a dodgy mic somewhere ugly.

Full volume control over system noises like chimes, bingbongs and indicator ticks.

Is it worth $2000+ dollars? Eeeehh...debatable, depends on your feelings about money. It is definitely a huge improvement over stock though.

And some bonus pictures.
0comparison.jpg2install.jpg 1install.jpg 3bootup.jpgboxes.jpggoobers.jpgSpotify.jpg