Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Are the (MSE/Director) & Magnum the best factory standard performance sedans/utes ever made?

Onlt vote if you've driven an LE and at least a few other marques

• The e39 M5 is still the benchmark

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Yeah mate awsome thread on the black pearl build so far.. would a gen3 coyote crate engine in the black pearl be too unorthodox?? At 92hp/Litre stock as a rock, surely thats got you frothing..
Thanks just need to find the time (vintage at the moment) to get to the climax, so to speak :oops: BTW do you realise that massive 5l canine wouldn’t fit in our bay? One of the reasons you don’t see M156 or Coyote swaps, they are relatively unwieldy.
Cost is considerably more than LT1 with 10 speed for about same HP (albeit new gen Ford is from five litres). Alls needed to get LT1 above 85HP/litre and ahead of Coyote is a mild AFM cam, +80 to 100 HP.
Not worth selling my soul and making a mess of things. Gen 3 Coyote is good now back to include port injection but all other things aside is (give or take) the same output as when I started with our stock engine.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Thanks just need to find the time (vintage at the moment) to get to the climax, so to speak :oops: BTW do you realise that massive behemoth dog engine wouldn’t fit in our bay? One of the reasons you don’t see M156 or Coyote swaps, they are relatively unwieldy.
Cost is considerably more than LT1 with 10 speed for about same HP (albeit new gen Ford is from five litres). Alls needed to get LT1 above 85HP/litre and ahead of Coyote is a mild AFM cam, +80 to 100 HP.
Not worth selling my soul and making a mess of things. Gen 3 Coyote is good now back to include port injection but all other things aside is (give or take) the same output as when I started with our stock engine.
Shows the volumetric inefficiency of our (over hyped) stock LS varients..

LSx might be simple, compact and have good modifibility etc.. but same could be said for a rotary engine.

Lets be honest the LSx is good.. but its far from great like so many people make out.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Shows the volumetric inefficiency of our (over hyped) stock LS varients..

LSx might be simple, compact and have good modifibility etc.. but same could be said for a rotary engine.

Lets be honest the LSx is good.. but its far from great like so many people make out.
Well that’s not the engine, rather the camshaft. And the fuel.
So yes, stock cam is ridiculous yet still makes great gross output, compared to almost every other stock offering.
Heads are great, change crap valve events, intake is great, change crap headers, fuel system inc injectors are great, ECU is seriously better than great, voila for low dough is hard to beat the foundation at close to 600 HP.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Oi, hands off the (and now for something ruder) Wankel Rotary Engine!
Shove some apex-seals into the intake ports of your running LS3's head, and see how the LS3 fares!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Oi, hands off the (and now for something ruder) Wankel Rotary Engine!
Shove some apex-seals into the intake ports of your running LS3's head, and see how the LS3 fares!
Almost bought an RX8 a couple of weeks ago, checked out a dozen or so but whoa man, the first edition had issues, think they got it right wit the second revision (gen 3). Still like an incredibly expensive Victa to run.

monty_vfssv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV S2 Redline
Almost bought an RX8 a couple of weeks ago, checked out a dozen or so but whoa man, the first edition had issues, think they got it right wit the second revision (gen 3). Still like an incredibly expensive Victa to run.

Sadly the Rx8 was a flop unlike its fd rx7 predesesor, which is hard to believe are well over 20 years old! Shame the r&d was never factory backed to this day and age. Theres talk of a rotary comeback using a 1600cc 2 rotor engine.. believe it when i see it, being such a niche market.

Only parts i would touch off the renisis 13b (rx8) is the eccentric shaft and light weight rotors, rest of the block is garbage.. the 13b REW (fd rx7) is virtually flawless in boost form, mines good for 650hp at the wheels running on e85.. has plenty of supporting mods mind you.

Surprised you would even glance at an rx8 considering how little they offer in the way of torque.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Aren't RX8's an epically brilliant device when transplanted with an LSx?
More fasts, more funs, better sound, lower fuel usage ...

LastV8?

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VF2 Redline
So after reading various threads on how various manufacturers (and owners) use the VF2 as a performance benchmark to beat (or at least those aspiring to be giant killers) I'm wondering whether we need a separate thread for us Euro virgins to know when not to embarrass ourselves in our standard LS3s. Obviously AMGs and Ms are a known factor but... Headed off to do a few errands this AM given a final break in the weather and noticed a large bodied VW apparently stalking me through the traffic on an 80Km multi-lane road. Finally he gets alongside me at the lights with plenty of clear road ahead, and I think is this one of those things that is pretty quick, is it re-tuned, should I try a quick takeoff then back off and let him go? His car is light gold metallic/modern euro. Mine is looking like a target with big wing, 20s and Spitfire Green! Fortunately the street I need to turn left at is about 200 metres ahead so I take off normally and let him go. Made me think about the upgrade path a little...and also when I first had my VR Clubsport and every hot Nippon model wanted to race you and when I got blown away by a seemingly innocuous UC Torana (6???)

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
So after reading various threads on how various manufacturers (and owners) use the VF2 as a performance benchmark to beat (or at least those aspiring to be giant killers) I'm wondering whether we need a separate thread for us Euro virgins to know when not to embarrass ourselves in our standard LS3s. Obviously AMGs and Ms are a known factor but... Headed off to do a few errands this AM given a final break in the weather and noticed a large bodied VW apparently stalking me through the traffic on an 80Km multi-lane road. Finally he gets alongside me at the lights with plenty of clear road ahead, and I think is this one of those things that is pretty quick, is it re-tuned, should I try a quick takeoff then back off and let him go? His car is light gold metallic/modern euro. Mine is looking like a target with big wing, 20s and Spitfire Green! Fortunately the street I need to turn left at is about 200 metres ahead so I take off normally and let him go. Made me think about the upgrade path a little...and also when I first had my VR Clubsport and every hot Nippon model wanted to race you and when I got blown away by a seemingly innocuous UC Torana (6???)
I went from a blown VF Calais to a Stage 1 tuned Golf R 7.5. Both great cars. Different in hundreds of ways but both achieve what they were designed for exceptionally. Anyhow, after a month or 2, I realized the Golf was not for me as good as it was. I missing the size of the Holden and the linearity of a supercharger compared to the insanity of a tuned turbo. I went and bought a new Senator last November and swore I was keeping it stock.

But beware taking on a Golf R even if it is stock. Very fast and fun to drive. If I had more space I would have a Golf again and drive whichever depending on my whim.

P.S. The Senator, gets the Walkinshaw W557 package next Tuesday.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

Bought a car just the other day
Man could that baby run
But you know what they always say
There's always a better one