Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

audio = 100ks less per tank??

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It's really simple:

1) Extra weight. Every kilo you cart around uses more fuel.
2) Extra current draw. Every bit of electricity your alternator makes, requires fuel to generate.
3) Extra lead-foot. Everyone knows that "fully good tunes" make you a "fully good driver".

Little drops of water, mighty oceans, all that jazz.

wise.jpg

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
I love misinformation. Please enlighten me how the alternator can cause more strain on the belts when it's spinning at a fixed rpm in accordance with the motor. I'm pretty sure if the tension changed even just a little bit it would throw everything out of whack.
The more current you draw from it the harder it is to turn. Kind of like when you get two magnets and put the same poles together they force away from each other...

I however doubt this is the issue here, the alt and power wiring would likely be on fire before it causes that kind of increase in fuel consumption.

@OP: Clean your MAF and replace your O2 sensors.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
I love misinformation. Please enlighten me how the alternator can cause more strain on the belts when it's spinning at a fixed rpm in accordance with the motor. I'm pretty sure if the tension changed even just a little bit it would throw everything out of whack.

Come around to my house one day, and we'll turn on my old 1972 HQ Kingswood. It has a very primitive electrical system, and a very low amperage alternator. When at warm idle, approximately 6-700rpm, if you put the car into gear (drive, reverse, etc) you can hear the revs drop to around 500rpm. This is because there is extra load on the engine, and it is having to work a little harder to keep turning.

If you turn on my headlights, you can feel the same effect. The extra current draw on the alternator causes the revs to drop. Turn on the blower fan, you hear the revs drop again. Everything is tied together - the alternator in this car is designed to power a few lights, the ignition coil, and occasionally one single speaker in the centre of the dashboard.

The "tension changing" doesn't "throw everything out of whack", it simply directs a load to the crankshaft. When you turn the steering wheel, the drag created by your power steering pump actually increases. It takes energy from your crankshaft to make the pump function.

One day, put a dead battery in a car, and jump-start it. Listen to the high-pitched whine of the alternator screaming in pain as it tries to refill your empty battery with electricity. You can actually HEAR the alternator working overtime, and on a modern car, the computer will recognise this and raise the revs of the engine to compensate.

Consider yourself enlightened. :)

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Also consider if substandard fuel has been supplied. You never really know what is going into the tank. After the floods in Brisbane, there were many cheaper diesels that suffered from water being in the tanks. Came from holding tanks that were submerged. We made sure only to fill up in areas that were not affected and had seemingly clean supplies.

There could be a combination of things impacting the economy, but the audio gear alone should not Make a 20% difference.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It all adds up though, driving style being the most important factor of them all - and music impacts the way we act in so many ways.

I bet if he removed the subs, turned off the head unit and amplifier, and drove down a highway at a constant speed, the car would return perfectly average fuel consumption results :)

CapriciousWL

Reaction score
Members Ride
WL Caprice
Me thinks you are right. With no music playing I get much better economy.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Come around to my house one day, and we'll turn on my old 1972 HQ Kingswood. It has a very primitive electrical system, and a very low amperage alternator. When at warm idle, approximately 6-700rpm, if you put the car into gear (drive, reverse, etc) you can hear the revs drop to around 500rpm. This is because there is extra load on the engine, and it is having to work a little harder to keep turning.

If you turn on my headlights, you can feel the same effect. The extra current draw on the alternator causes the revs to drop. Turn on the blower fan, you hear the revs drop again. Everything is tied together - the alternator in this car is designed to power a few lights, the ignition coil, and occasionally one single speaker in the centre of the dashboard.

The "tension changing" doesn't "throw everything out of whack", it simply directs a load to the crankshaft. When you turn the steering wheel, the drag created by your power steering pump actually increases. It takes energy from your crankshaft to make the pump function.

One day, put a dead battery in a car, and jump-start it. Listen to the high-pitched whine of the alternator screaming in pain as it tries to refill your empty battery with electricity. You can actually HEAR the alternator working overtime, and on a modern car, the computer will recognise this and raise the revs of the engine to compensate.

Consider yourself enlightened. :)

thats like comparing apples and bananas times have evolved since then lol so dont think u can compare these 2 here, yes the older cars did this but not so much on the newer cars.

2 the OP theres so many things that can contribute 2 losing more fuel, try asking in the YV/VZ section not related 2 the audio and ud find ur answer there.

revhead2011

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S II
well i noticed the difference when the sound went in. i know it is ALOT of contributing factors at play here. i posted in the audio section because i know all about the other means of using more fuel but not due to electrical/audio/electrical energy needs. i have now learnt alot about alternators and how they affect fuel usage so im sure that with my system playing it is working a little harder, but not 100ks less to a tank harder haha. idea behind this thread was for knowledge.

filled up the car last week and with a bunch of highway driving, 1 night of "fun" driving (rockers went in so had to break em in haha) and i saw that the trip was telling me i did 480ks to that tank which im happy with. next service i will ask about the O2 sensors and MAF clean out because i dont know how to diagnose those myself.

thanks for all the help people, some of it was very helpful. cheers

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Cheeezarse!!!

Talk about explaining a subject ad-nauseum to people who just won't accept basic explanations of high-school physical principles...