Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

B.C.M. Problems

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
In amongst the shittalk, the conversation is interesting on how the systems works.

@Immortality
Maybe it's best to split the ECU and BCM functions into its own thread? Would be good to keep it instead of buried, and thr OP can keep his thread and Maybe a result after further diagnosis.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Reading through this, I will add, and it’s been mentioned multiple times, diagnosing something because of a code is not a way forward.

If a module is diagnosed faulty, that’s an expensive and technical solution. You want evidence to support the diagnosis. Further testing should be done rather than just say yep that’s a faulty module. It’s just not the done thing.

The jist of what I read is that, yeah sure that is a possibility but let’s do further testing, and then and only then is that is rock solid advice when a call is made on a module.

Even if the module has failed, what was the cause of the failed module. What if there is a fault elsewhere in the system that is putting undue “stress” (for want of a better word) on the module and causing failures.

Examples to our point:

And

*Paul Danner (in the videos) is held in high regard globally for his work in automotive diagnostics and is also a lecturer on the subject.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I don't know who's right or wrong in this disagreement as I don't even know what a 'B Code' is, but I have found it interesting and I also know from previous good info who I'd trust to ask if I needed help.

It has highlight one thing for me, my lack of skill when it comes to modern day vehicles, I am good with doors though, both opening and closing them using only the door handle, so if someone wants advice on that I'm available.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
there is no point arguing with him as he does not seem to understand the cause and effect of the system.

he thinks a b code means bcm and nothing else but even the documentation from gm specifies that if the b code was set to do a diagnostic scan on other devices(modules) to ensure that they are not the cause of the code being thrown at the bcm.

i explained this in a previous comment that just because the bcm is the detector of the fault and the module issuing the code it does not mean that the bcm is the faulty module.

as you know many modules in the system have no capacity to throw a code and this is where the main modules are used to detect and throw the code into the system.
you then perform diagnostics on the associated modules.

this is where you find mechanics replacing things that are not faulty because the look at a code and take it on face value then they replace something that is not faulty, the customer pays and they basically start throwing parts at the vehicle until they find it.
Take the BCM out of the system and count how many B codes you get!
ZERO
All you will get is U codes because without the BCM B codes will not show.
Go on give it a try before you make outlandish incorrect statements.

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Reading through this, I will add, and it’s been mentioned multiple times, diagnosing something because of a code is not a way forward.

If a module is diagnosed faulty, that’s an expensive and technical solution. You want evidence to support the diagnosis. Further testing should be done rather than just say yep that’s a faulty module. It’s just not the done thing.

The jist of what I read is that, yeah sure that is a possibility but let’s do further testing, and then and only then is that is rock solid advice when a call is made on a module.

Even if the module has failed, what was the cause of the failed module. What if there is a fault elsewhere in the system that is putting undue “stress” (for want of a better word) on the module and causing failures.

Examples to our point:

And

*Paul Danner (in the videos) is held in high regard globally for his work in automotive diagnostics and is also a lecturer on the subject.
No one made a call I told him to reprogram the BCM to see if it passes or fails. His auto electrician wanted to replace it.
I said if it fails then it would need replacing. So once again you have read half the thread and think you know what its going on.
Nothing more nothing less.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Can we have a thorough discourse without making it personal?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
I’m not actually seeing a technical disagreement here at all. I suspect both sides are right but in different ways. One party is probably right in the meaning and interpretation of the specifics of the OEM B-code, and the other party is correct in pointing out that it is worthwhile to step back and ensuring that the battery system is not causing widespread issues before putting too much reliance on the error codes.

Perhaps the OP can weigh in with the eventual fix?

:)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
No one made a call I told him to reprogram the BCM to see if it passes or fails. His auto electrician wanted to replace it.
I said if it fails then it would need replacing. So once again you have read half the thread and think you know what its going on.
Nothing more nothing less.
I read the entire thread.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Just remember, with electronic data...

Garbage in, garbage out.