Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bali 9 - thoughts?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Meanwhile in real news, the death toll in Nepal is rising and where is the Australian Foreign Minister? Giving a press conference on 2 dead pond scum.

And nothing said about the genocide in West Papua....

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Whats all this bribery stuff i just heard mentioned on the radio? Something about the judges asking for money to give them a life sentence instead of death? Is it just one stations bull dust or has anyone else heard that too?

The claim was made by the lawyers for Chan & Sukumaran.

I did hear where the Australian government was considering recalling its ambassador in Indonesia.

Bali 9 executions: Abbott government withdraws ambassador to Indonesia

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
OMG it's OVER?

What will the journalists do now.......

Thank F**K

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Meanwhile in real news, the death toll in Nepal is rising and where is the Australian Foreign Minister? Giving a press conference on 2 dead pond scum.

That's the way it works , sad but true

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
Adiós morons.

11203111_10154339340857925_5490445427280415331_n.jpg

ue4fCas.png

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2

Clair

Whilst the executions to some (obviously you for one) may only be n insignificant side issue to the Nepalese tragedy, I think the long term outcome will be of far more importance to Australia's diplomatic relations with Indonesia.

That country has never really been particularly "friendly" towards us, even during SBY's leadership, though it was much better under him than previously. I can recall the real tension that existed between the two countries under Soekarno in the early '60's. I suspect they don't trust us and I doubt that we really trust them. Australians are angry at the executions, IMO, because of the help we have provided to that country for so long. These executions were a slap in our faces, but the government has to be careful how it handles the situation because it's really very easy to imagine "all bets being off" in relation to co-operation with detection and suppression of terrorism and controlling asylum seeker traffic to give just two examples. Earlier today, Julie Bishop and the PM indicated that our initial response was to recall our ambassador, a significant act in itself. Listening to the two of them, whilst restrained in their speech, you couldn't help getting the impression that there might be more to come.

They may have only been drug importers, but Chan and Karma Sutra (can't recall the poor bugger's name now) may be the catalysts for significant changes in the way we deal with Indonesia.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
If they had of got this heroin through and killed off the hundreds of druggies as claimed.
Why would that be such a bad thing? Wouldn't it be doing society a massive favour?

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Not much will happen from a diplomatic view point.

We were already in a fairly weird relationship and this is not going to make it worse than it already is. Recalling the delegates is a token protest move nothing more. They have to be seen to be doing something to the bleeding hearts of Australia.

6 months time they will return and the farce will be swept under the rug when noone remembers their names. Privately, theyre probably thankful its over one way or the other. It was a no win situation. There was no way the were getting off death row. Had Widodo granted clemency, he may as well have taken their place.

I just cannot fathom why we are putting these people up on the pedastal they are currently on. Yes, I feel bad for their family. No, I dont have an ounce of compassion for these two drug mules. Talks of vigils, moments of silence, 9 minutes of prayer, hell someone suggested an international student scholarship - I got a name for it, the Walter White Chemistry Scholarship! I cannot believe that these two bit out of work actors felt that Mr Abbott should have done ANYTHING to help these clowns, let alone "brought our boys home". You want him to don some camo and go rambo it?

For those who disagree with the Death Penalty, look, I agree that for this crime, by our standards greatly unwarranted. However our culture cannot be used to judge what anothers deems as a high level crime. I didnt hear to many people pleading for clemency when the Bali bombers were getting shot. Hell, our own KRuddy was on board selling snacks at the viewing gallery. Australians are a hypocritical bunch. Where is the outrage and the 33(?) people killed last year in the US via Lethal Injection or for the other 3000+ on death row? For those that think 10 years is a long time to string someone along, by Indonesian standards yes. However international diplomacy and appeals will do that. Go look at how long it can take in the US for someone to die.

The justice system and this applies world wide, is about three things. Rehabilitation, Prevention and Revenge. Retribution for the Victim and Society, Prevent the crime from happening again and changing the behavior of an offender. Death sentences fufill two of those. They are not about curbing a behavior. They are about sending a message and avenging society and victims. You can bleat on all you like about revenge, but it is a vital part of the justice system world wide. The victims need to feel like justice has been done. Do the parents, children, siblings, partners feel vindicated that a person who was caught with 8.4 kilograms of Heroin was stopped? Im sure if youve held a smack addict in your arms and watched them convulse to death you do. Will they do it again? No.

The murderer of Jill Maegher, who was found to be a serial reoffender, escaping justice because of our softly softly approach to prison sentences. Im sure every female who has heard his name would feel a lot better about society if he had a bullet through his chest. You cant be for it and against it. Different countries value different crimes higher and lower.

Theyre dead, good, thank god its over. Couple more days dealing with these lefty bleeding hearts and noone will remember their names. In the mean time, Govt will put on a show, wait for it to blow over and itll be business as usual. End of the day, ruining international relations with a high value export nation, high tourist destination, a nation we rely on for aid in border security and our gateway to Asia over two deadbeat, dealers of human pain and weakness, is not worth it.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
If they had of got this heroin through and killed off the hundreds of druggies as claimed.
Why would that be such a bad thing? Wouldn't it be doing society a massive favour?

Would be.

However, that could see a increase in emergency service and justice system costs.

Thats why its good they were caught over there.

AFP wouldnt want to go to all that trouble of finding these idiots for them to come back here, get a slap on the wrist for all their effort and then tie up the legal system.

Caught overseas with a bunch of drugs, job well done.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
^^ Exactly. Why would we pay for 5 years prison, education while they were in prison, then subsidise their existence once they are released as smarter criminals. Well played AFP, well played.