Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VF] Blackvue DR650GE-2CH Dash Cam Install

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
I just finished the install - took 4 hours but was really happy with the results. Thank you dgp for your help and photos as they were a great guide as to what to do.

A few differences with my installation method:
1. I have used the earth in the DOC connector for my power magic pro rather than finding a bolt, as I couldn’t see a small enough sized bolt in the vicinity! (I must be blind because others haven’t had this issue!) Same procedure applies - I cut off the ‘C’ on the existing wiring and replaced it with another 2.8mm female spade from Jaycar, then wrapped it with heat shrink.

2. I mounted the Narva fuse box on the side console where it has the no airbag sticker. I figured that should the fuses fail or blow one day, I wouldn’t want to undo all of those bolts just to replace the fuse (although I would have to anyway if the fuses kept blowing). A trim tool makes the removal easier.

3. I stowed all the excess wire for the rear camera down the C pillar - you can push it as a bundle down the pillar and away & behind from that green curtain airbag.

4. My power magic pro is mounted in the glove box but I did not drill a hole - using an existing hole where the horizontal trim clips in, the wires can feed through that hole and curve into the glove box to the power magic pro, and it won’t get crushed or prevent the box door from closing.

5. Feeding the wire down the A pillars weren’t as hard as first thought... just had to be careful about the airbag and wires by tucking the wiring behind it.

Most of my time was spent undoing the bolt, feeding that wire upwards through the hole to the A pillar, and learning how to crimp (didn’t make it any easier by using all brass female clips from Jaycar!!). It’s a very worthwhile exercise! :D

Last edited:

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Did you mount the rear camera in the centre of to the LHS and running the cable from rear to front was it hard to tuck up behind trim and down A pillar? Still waiting on my wire wrap been to 5 different shops in town and only had insulation tape, so good old ebay come to the rescue.

You can mount the camera close to the centre (underneath the brake light) but slightly off centre to account for the position of the lens.

Tucking the rear camera’s wire along side of the headliner just about the doors was not difficult with the trim tool. It was far more difficult to feed the power to the front camera up the A pillar as the gap is small!

I wrapped my wire with cloth tape from Bunnings where it may ‘rock’ around in the cavity, otherwise I used cable wraps also from Bunnings. Cable clips were $1.90 and the cloth tape was $5.

Crack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 GTSR
Hi guys,
Over the last couple of days i installed my new dash cam into the VFII Redline.
Once i pulled things apart, it was a pretty straightforward exercise. I did buy some of that Tessa cloth tape that i used to tape up all the wires for the factory loom look and to mitigate any issues with wires rattling around.
I bought a Narva fuse block that i ran battery +, and accessory power to, from the Retained Accessory Power socket that i found clipped behind the left hand side of the glovebox area.
There was plenty of length on the cable from the dash cam to play with, that i ended up taping up and fixing to the existing loom behind the dash panel steel support.
I tucked the coax from the rear camera into the headlining and then ran it to the front of the car on the passenger side then down the A-Pillar to behind the dash.
The front camera coax and power cables were tucked in under the plastic surround that protects the forward collision camera (i had to file out a round hole for the cables to exit at the camera), then into the headlining and down the A-Pillar.

Awesome write up. How did you remove the plastic trim around the front collision camera to file the hole

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
You grab both sides of the trim, squeeze inward and pull toward the front of the car. I tried to find a diagram but can't seem to find it.

Crack07

Reaction score
Members Ride
17 GTSR
You grab both sides of the trim, squeeze inward and pull toward the front of the car. I tried to find a diagram but can't seem to find it.
Thanks for that,yeah came off easy.
Installed the camera over the weekend using the method described and it was easy as only thing I did different was run the rear camera lead through the roof by removing both interior lights and running a trace wire through to the rear window and then just pulled the cable through.

Evan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice
Thanks heaps DGP, I just installed a dash cam in my WN Caprice today. I followed your awesome steps and had it done in under an hour, works perfect, I owe you a beer mate, cheers.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Thanks heaps DGP, I just installed a dash cam in my WN Caprice today. I followed your awesome steps and had it done in under an hour, works perfect, I owe you a beer mate, cheers.

Good to hear, you are welcome.

Poletheus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV Clubsport R8 LSA Tourer - Build No.002
Sorry, title should be "Blackvue DR650GW-2CH Dasc Cam Install"

Hi dgp.

Quick question regarding the retain accessory power that you connected to.

I am also going to use the same plug . I've check out which pins are for ACC PWR, BATT PWR and Earth. Do you know what fuse relates to this plug and if it is located in the back (Wagon) or in the engine bay?

Kind regards,
Carl

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Hi dgp.

Quick question regarding the retain accessory power that you connected to.

I am also going to use the same plug . I've check out which pins are for ACC PWR, BATT PWR and Earth. Do you know what fuse relates to this plug and if it is located in the back (Wagon) or in the engine bay?

Kind regards,
Carl
Carl, I can’t quite remember, but think the accessory power is F29 in the boot (sedan), and the constant power coms from the right hand side of the dash ( there are another group of fuses behind the panel that faces the door on the end of the dash). Best check with a multi though, as not certain anymore.

See here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/doc-fuse-location.268922/

And here https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vf-commodore-doc-connector.227006/

Last edited:

VF_CalaisV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF CalaisV L77
Hi, thanks for the write up!
I'm going to install a Mini 0906 with a hard wire park mode power box using your tips.
In interests of making it as easy as possible do you think you could just skip the fuse install. Are there other factory fuses that could be replaced if a short happens? Or is the 12+ batt unfused?