Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake upgrade

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Can somebody please clear up a few things for me, i know there are other threads covering this but having trouble finding a straight answer..........

1. Do VP S2 V6 brakes and calipers bolt straight on to a VK strut without modification?
2. Do VN/VP V6 have the same size master cylinder 15/16?
3. Would a VN/VP 1" master cylinder bolt straight on to a vk without needing to change the booster or lines?
4. Do the VK master cylinders have different pressure outputs to the rears between drum and disc brakes?

Just trying to clear up a few things because i want to put better brakes on my VK on the cheap.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Can somebody please clear up a few things for me, i know there are other threads covering this but having trouble finding a straight answer..........

3. Would a VN/VP 1" master cylinder bolt straight on to a vk without needing to change the booster or lines?
4. Do the VK master cylinders have different pressure outputs to the rears between drum and disc brakes?

I dont know about S2 bits if the disc has bearings in it and not the separate hub style then yes it will fit, I know the calipers do.
Yes VN/VP do have 15/16 master cyl
No when you fit a 1" master cylinder you will have to change vacume boosters as well.
As far as I am aware they dont have different pressure outputs between disc and drum.

Your best bet is a 1" master cyl and vac booster for anything VB-VS maybe later but I know these fit.
If you can afford it VT twin sports ont he front if now the 297mm VN/VP rotors and calipers are the same as VL turbo and will work very well, rears definitely discs if you are converting your existing drum brake diff then make sure you get the caliper mounting brackets off the diff you will also have to do axel seals.

cheers
scott

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
1. Do VP S2 V6 brakes and calipers bolt straight on to a VK strut without modification?
YES. You will need to use the brake hoses from the VP as well
YES
YES, ABS VP may differ though.
more specifically different flow outputs
Also the drum brake master cylinder has a residual valve in the rear circuit. If you use a disc/drum master cylinder on a disc/disc setup, you will have weak back brakes and they will tend to drag on. So in a nutshell, if you are fitting rear discs, then you need to use a master cylinder from a 4 wheel disc car

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Thanks guys, so a 1'' master cylinder and booster right up to VS will fit with the brake lines needing to be modified?