Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Break upgrade legality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
When fitting the Holden spec Brembo Front Calipers, the attaching bolts between caliper and stub axle are the same. You could use the old bolts but its recommended that new bolts are fitted each removal.
If you have genuine Holden spec calipers with fluid lines attached, then the length is correct.

The only thing I noticed during fitting of the larger 355mm discs is that they extend outside the backing plate circumference. I'm not sure if the redline runs a larger backing plate? Someone here should know...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Lol, no chance. The ACT Federalies couldn't give a fat rats about any of this unless you're down in Tuggers line-locking at Maccas drive thru. P-Platers can drive a Koenigsegg, Pagani or Bugatti if they so desire. NSW is a whole different kettle of fish.

This.

Just slap them on. Nobody in the ACT will care unless they're in an unroadworthy condition. Honestly I think you're being paranoid and just wrapping yourself up in the governments red tape. How many other people on this site paid $500 when they did their VT brake upgrade to have their car engineered?

"Yes, because putting bigger brakes on might make your car unsafe".

Plenty of people line-locking in Belcompton drive-thrus too. :p

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
When fitting the Holden spec Brembo Front Calipers, the attaching bolts between caliper and stub axle are the same. You could use the old bolts but its recommended that new bolts are fitted each removal.

Four-pot Brembos from the US as in Cadillac CTS-V have diff bolts, but the brembos from Aus for the redlines have the same size bolts as SS. CTS-V are just longer so you can re-use or get new longer ones which fit properly.

If you have genuine Holden spec calipers with fluid lines attached, then the length is correct.

Maybe correct but is tight on full turn.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Maybe correct but is tight on full turn.

I don't see how this would happen with factory Brembo calipers and factory brake lines specific for the Redline. If it does happen then every Redline would have this issue and be massive brake failure waiting to happen.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I don't see how this would happen with factory Brembo calipers and factory brake lines specific for the Redline. If it does happen then every Redline would have this issue and be massive brake failure waiting to happen.

Visualise that the hose length is not the same for an SS as the redline model, then imagine that the connection to the caliper is in a different location. Hey, it fits, but worth looking into yourself or asking the certified mechanic whether the tolerance would affect safety over time.

SanchezCBR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SS Manual Sportswagon
Buy my brembo's came with brake lines from Holden.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
This.

Just slap them on. Nobody in the ACT will care unless they're in an unroadworthy condition. Honestly I think you're being paranoid and just wrapping yourself up in the governments red tape. How many other people on this site paid $500 when they did their VT brake upgrade to have their car engineered?

"Yes, because putting bigger brakes on might make your car unsafe".

Plenty of people line-locking in Belcompton drive-thrus too. :p

Lol, was that you flicking rubber on my car mofo? :p

I once had a visual fail pulling on to Belconnen way, boosted the **** out of it for an 'almost instant' 80km/h followed by a big BOV whooshka, right next to a patrol car. He shrugged and carried on his merry way to what I'm assuming was lunch.

I've had my car walked around and scrutinised by an officer, who appeared to stare intently at my intercooler, then commented on the superb condition of the car and reminisced when he drove early Commodores.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Buy my brembo's came with brake lines from Holden.

Umm, that means you have the right ones to fit then, all good. It is also possible to just buy the brake assembly minus the Redline hose is all.

Big-Al

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 5.7 M6
Look at the end of the day the insurance company would need to prove that the aftermarket brakes were a contributing factor to any accident you maybe claiming on.
I'm with Just Car and I have listed the brakes and they don't have a problem with that.
As long as you don't put smaller than standard brakes on your car and you do it properly, you'll be fine. I just ordered a new set of pads for the AP Racing brakes I installed nearly 10 years ago. Not bad for one set of pads?

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Look at the end of the day the insurance company would need to prove that the aftermarket brakes were a contributing factor to any accident you maybe claiming on.

Ah not quite, they only have to prove they should not have been fitted, ie, car is not roadworthy, to null and void your policy...
Insurance companies do not have to prove anything, when you read the fine print all the onus is on you.
They only insure you, it is up to you to ensure your car is up to standards.

Status
Not open for further replies.