Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Broken Thermostat?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Hey Guys,

My VX Acclaim 2002 Series II has been doing something that worried me at first. Was randomly driving and got the beeping frantically and 'hot!!!' on the dashboard display, looked at the thermo gauge and it was just below the redline level. Pulled over and turned the car off fearing the worst, had a look at the engine and it didn't appear to be super hot (wasn't thrashing it or anything). Turned car back on and thermo read as normal (just below middle line).

It's done this a few times, and always just returns to its normal level after a few seconds, so I'm pretty sure it's just the thermo.

The way I think holden based resistors work, is if it doesn't detect any resistance it just defaults to FULL/High?
This is what happened when my fuel pump resistor was gone. Think a similar thing is going on here.

How am I meant to go about getting a thermostat sorted?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Have you checked the coolant level ?
Have you checked for air and bled the system ?
When was the cooling system last serviced ? New coolant, flush and new thermostat ?

If you dont know, i would recommend a system flush, new coolant and thermostat, and even replace any hoses and the heater tap.

Random spikes in the temp gauge is generally a air lock or a sticky thermostat.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Thermostat and do the coolant sensor at the same time .
Genuine thermostat and gasket is about $30 from Holden
Coolant sensor ?? No idea

2 bolts and take thermostat housing off , take old one out / scrap old gasket off ( take note of what way the thermostat so you don't put new one in upside down)
Replace both thermostat and gasket, put the housing and bolts back on , don't tighten them to much or they may break

Top up your radiator and check it the next drive after cooling down

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
A couple of years ago our baby did the same and she had a very small hole in the radiator causing the coolant to get low.
At that stage of the cars journey it'd done 240,000 so we replaced everything heater and coolant related, well everything except for the cooling fans.

I love how the engine cuts off when it gets a little hot, sure better than having a seized engine.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
Thanks Guys,

Did a complete flush of the cooling system today (instructions following a search), was a hassle of a job but got there after a bit of swearing. New thermostat and gasket in so hopefully that solves the problem. Cost me $30 all up from Holden dealer which is pretty reasonable, I used Tectalloy [something like that] coolant for $35 from SuperCheap.

Cheers for your guys help :)

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
If it continues to do it...replace the temp sensor

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
how was the level in the radiator before you did the flush tho? if it was low keep an eye on it through your over flow bottle dip stick (not the radiator), if u find your loosing coolent slowly ur inlet manifold gaskets could be starting to eat away at that higher kms so ur loosing coolent back out the exhaust outlets possibly with out knowing it.