Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Buying used sv6

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
Hi there,
I've been looking for a new car and I'm considering a VF Commodore, I've checked out a few now and found an sv6 wagon that I like, it seems to be in good condition apart from showing signs it has been left outside and not garaged. One thing that stood out though is that after the test drive the engine bay was quite hot, you could feel the heat coming off it even before I opened the bonnet, but the temp gauge stayed pretty centred throughout the drive. Is it normal for these cars to get quite hot after a 20 minute drive? It was a hot day as well so there are factors that affect it, but just want to make sure there isn't an underlying issue with the engine I don't know about.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
No if the temp gauge inside the car says it's all good, under-bonnet heat isn't something that people report as a problem.

We've got a V8 which we think is in pristine condition, my better-half parks it in the garage at 4:30pm in winter & there's still warmth you can feel coming through the door into the house at 7pm. :) It's fine!

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
No if the temp gauge inside the car says it's all good, under-bonnet heat isn't something that people report as a problem.

We've got a V8 which we think is in pristine condition, my better-half parks it in the garage at 4:30pm in winter & there's still warmth you can feel coming through the door into the house at 7pm. :) It's fine!
Okay cool, it makes sense that a car like that will generate more heat. I think I'm just paranoid about everything cause I've seen so many dodgy car dealerships and I haven't noticed anything wrong with this car yet other than a little wear and tear.
Thank you

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Regarding the visible UV damage ... a lot of that can be fixed with a detail & wax (or better but more expensive still a ceramic coating), external plastics can be treated pretty effectively these days ... however that's going to cost up to $2k., so factor that into what you're willing to pay.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Okay cool, it makes sense that a car like that will generate more heat. I think I'm just paranoid about everything cause I've seen so many dodgy car dealerships and I haven't noticed anything wrong with this car yet other than a little wear and tear.
Thank you
pay attention to the service history, if things look dodgy or there is no history or it is not done properly just walk as you will find another one to buy.

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
pay attention to the service history, if things look dodgy or there is no history or it is not done properly just walk as you will find another one to buy.
I checked the book and every service has been done by the same mechanic. Only thing to note is that services weren't done at exact 10k intervals, but for a 6 year old car that's barely done over 80k I don't think that's a huge issue.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
If it has a full service history, runs and drives smoothly, has no codes and doesn't have any dodgy repairs, good paintwork etc... Then it's probably a good buy... After you check these things and if you're still interested, get a third party pre purchase inspection and make sure no finance is owing, it isn't a repairable write-off, kilometres are genuine, etc by doing a $2 PPSR check, especially if you're buying privately...

If the seller doesn't let you take it for a test drive and/or pre purchase inspection, WALK AWAY as these are red flags... Do you have any pictures of the car or the advertisement?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I checked the book and every service has been done by the same mechanic. Only thing to note is that services weren't done at exact 10k intervals, but for a 6 year old car that's barely done over 80k I don't think that's a huge issue.
How many kilometres on average between service intervals?

connor93

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF SV6
Regarding the visible UV damage ... a lot of that can be fixed with a detail & wax (or better but more expensive still a ceramic coating), external plastics can be treated pretty effectively these days ... however that's going to cost up to $2k., so factor that into what you're willing to pay.
I don't think there would be much expense for fixing that kind of damage and detailing, it's pretty tidy looking from the outset but there are signs it's been outside, looks like the dealer has cleaned it well but missed spots most people wouldn't look, like under the latch for the fuel cap