Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Bypassing the 2012 VE SS Blutooth for something better?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Correct, but ohms, not watts.
Thanks, I’ve edited my post ;)

I did mean ohms (Ω) but some brain fart resulted in W being typed :p

JayKayWilliams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S1
Hey everyone back again with a few new discoveries about the system which might be interesting. The boot lid is lined with a lead sheet implying the potential presence of a sub in the boot. However I removed the seats and couldn’t find a loom that lead to the back. I also found no subwoofers in the parcel shelf and no indication there were any ever. The ve ss series 2 I thought was supposed to have some but apparently not?

I did get to the bottom of what speakers are in the car it looks as if they have been completely replaced with a Sony xplod system. I only removed one trim in the rear and found XS-XB160.

I’m still using the stock head unit and I’m not happy with audio quality so I may contact some shops to figure out if an amplifier would address the sound quality issues or if I’ll need to something drastic like change the head unit. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hey everyone back again with a few new discoveries about the system which might be interesting. The boot lid is lined with a lead sheet implying the potential presence of a sub in the boot. However I removed the seats and couldn’t find a loom that lead to the back. I also found no subwoofers in the parcel shelf and no indication there were any ever. The ve ss series 2 I thought was supposed to have some but apparently not?

I did get to the bottom of what speakers are in the car it looks as if they have been completely replaced with a Sony xplod system. I only removed one trim in the rear and found XS-XB160.

I’m still using the stock head unit and I’m not happy with audio quality so I may contact some shops to figure out if an amplifier would address the sound quality issues or if I’ll need to something drastic like change the head unit. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
If the car has subs, they will be in under the parcel shelf. 2x 8” subs. Visible from boot space.
The amp for them is located behind the boot trim on passenger side. It’s mounted closer to strut mount area. So looking from the battery, it’s further back toward the seats.

if you have the 4 Ohm speakers of any brand, they will sound like poo running off a 2 ohm headunit.

JayKayWilliams

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV S1
@Fu Manchu Ah okay yeah I wasn't 100% if they could be seen so I just ended up removing the seats so I could investigate it thoroughly- figured its another opportunity to learn about how things work in the car too. I looked for tha amp initially and never found it so I wasn't sure if it could have been removed. There's been a bit of mischief about the sound system as I believe there should be a sub in the boot, but there isn't.

okay damn so therefore its a new head unit + facia probably? or is an amp able to fix the issue with ohms? sorry if dumb question I've not taken the chance to research the stock head unit yet and I'm very new to having to properly check compatibility with systems that didn't go together originally.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You’ll need to pull all the boot trim out from the passenger side to see the factory amp. There is no wiring harness for one around the back seats that you will find.

Yes an aftermarket amp will fix the issue. The tricky bit is there is no prep it’s on the factory headunit.