Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calais V - V6 vs V8

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon
Agree with the above.

And 5k gets you a full exhaust inc headers, OTR and tune, which gives you a better note than the series 2, and more power

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Depends on $$$$ V8 costs more to buy insure and rego and fuel of course but better resale later on, I drove my parents V6 Calais home yesterday to do oil change/auto trans service for them and surprised how much go they have and used stuff all fuel. Its done 80K and fuel avg is 9.5(country car in Barossa)

Few auction cars for reference
V8 13 build 85Km for 25K
https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/ite...-VF-MY14-V--Sedan--5-Seats--4-Doors/602159796

V6 7/15 build 70km for $22K(1 year of warranty still)
https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/ite...s--VF-MY15--Sedan--5-Seats--4-Doors/502421597

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Theres no way the V6 will win this lol

Get the V8 in the VFII. Remember the odler the car the better chances of interior wear and tear, especially the leather seats.

Murdoch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Wagoon
I'd go for a VF Calais V V8. You'll save a bucket load of money over the VF2. If you look around, you'll probably find one with an after market exhaust too. The VF has a few goodies the VF2 missed out on too.
E.g CD/DVD, rear cup holders in the seat bottom, titanium interior, which I am a big fan of.
Consider a VF Redline too. Comes with HUD, aiuto rain sensing wipers, lane depature warning, collision avoidance, Brembo brakes up front, FE3 suspension, stagger forged wheels, great handling and performance modes. It has most of the same luxo stuff the Calais V has too.

Holy ****
I just realised no CD player in mine..
How very weird!!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Depends on $$$$ V8 costs more to buy insure and rego and fuel of course but better resale later on, I drove my parents V6 Calais home yesterday to do oil change/auto trans service for them and surprised how much go they have and used stuff all fuel. Its done 80K and fuel avg is 9.5(country car in Barossa)

Few auction cars for reference
V8 13 build 85Km for 25K
https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/ite...-VF-MY14-V--Sedan--5-Seats--4-Doors/602159796

V6 7/15 build 70km for $22K(1 year of warranty still)
https://www.pickles.com.au/cars/ite...s--VF-MY15--Sedan--5-Seats--4-Doors/502421597
I did about a 2000k round trip in one of my work SV6's last week. We have 2. Never miss a beat. Great cars. I was very impressed. As you say they go well and use bugger all fuel. The seats were comfy too. The V6 shines on a trip. It's really good engine IMO. Just needs proper maintenance.
But the L77 V8, with AFM connected! is the best combo for highway touring Holden has ever released. It wont quite match the V6 economy, but it's bloody close. And it's got that V8 fun factor.
Great car the V6 Commies. I'd still go V8 though.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Coming back to the OP's original post "Ideally I'd like a late model VF2, they look nicer than the VF but there's not too much of a difference; good value is more of a priority."
On this basis and given budget it is really a VF II V6 that fits that statement best. Also considering the OP has had current car for near 10 years, the newer the car you can buy if you want to retain a car for around 10 years the better. Advice to the OP is usual whether V6 or V8 (especially V6) make sure you keep that car well serviced, preferably more frequent than specified 12 months 15,000 Km, We probably don't know yet with latest builds of V6, but the possible timing chain issue with the V6 I think hasn't been solved. If buying V6 you would just have to factor into the decision that sometime down the track you may need to replace timing chain. Personally I think the SIDI 3.6 V6's go quite well and are quite a good thing, just the timing chain is the main negative that comes to mind for me.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
V8 and enjoy

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
but I keep having this voice in my head to go for the V8 - I've never treated myself to a real nice toy and I'm in a state of my life where funds aren't exactly tight.

There is your own answer.
If you haven't had a V8 before, get one now, or down the track you will be saying " Why didn't I by a V8 Holden when I had the chance?"

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Coming back to the OP's original post "Ideally I'd like a late model VF2, they look nicer than the VF but there's not too much of a difference; good value is more of a priority."
On this basis and given budget it is really a VF II V6 that fits that statement best.
There’s no reason to get a VFII over a VF if going V6, is there?
Calais would get all the widgets in VF that’s in VFII, wouldn’t it? And nothing powertrain or suspension was changed?