Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Camaro trans pan and pick up 6L80E

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I had one of these fitted to my Redline today. Really happy with how it drives, so far. More on that later. A couple of concerns though. The invoice says 6.5L of Lubrimaxx ATF Lo-Vis Synthetic. I thought they held at least 10L with the deep pan? Question is, is it underfilled or was there 3.5L of the old oil left in the torque converter?

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
It's about right. They really don't hold that much more than OEM pans. Its more about the filter sitting deeper in the pan, than the volume increase that makes it a worth while mod IMO. I've had mine changed at various shops and they've all come back about the same and with much less than you'd think.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, they hold about 1L more from what I've read.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I had one of these fitted to my Redline today. Really happy with how it drives, so far. More on that later.
It is later!
Enquiring minds need to know!!

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
It is later!
Enquiring minds need to know!!
By later, I meant after I'd done a few more K's.:)
But just for you FORG old buddy.;) Mine hasn't had any flaring issues, so nothing to report there. The first thing I did notice was that performance mode / active shift or whatever it's called. comes on at will. By at will, I mean if you want it in performance mode, for example, just use say 1/3 throttle from a standing start into a roundabout, bang, straight in. Or, accelerate quickly (1/2 throttle) in a straight line, then back off, e.g to do a u turn, again straight into performace mode. Slow down, accelerate away, your in the same gear. I've always been able to dip into this mode, but had to work the throttle much harder.
The second thing I noticed is that the shifts are quicker. Not harsh by any means, just quicker. The box seems much more in tune with my driving style. I didn't even bother using active select, as it was great in auto sport shift.
So, if your auto is due for a service, grab one of these babies. Its a nice upgrade and very cheap. All you need is the pan, pick up and gasket. Available in Aus I believe. But I bought both of mine from Pace Performance in the US.

Last edited:

Happydaze

Happydaze
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE T30
There was some pans on eBay Aus too a while back

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
By later, I meant after I'd done a few more K's.:)
But just for you FORG old buddy.;) Mine hasn't had any flaring issues, so nothing to report there. The first thing I did notice was that performance mode / active shift or whatever it's called. comes on at will. By at will, I mean if you want it in performance mode, for example, just use say 1/3 throttle from a standing start into a roundabout, bang, straight in. Or, accelerate quickly (1/2 throttle) in a straight line, then back off, e.g to do a u turn, again straight into performace mode. Slow down, accelerate away, your in the same gear. I've always been able to dip into this mode, but had to work the throttle much harder.
The second thing I noticed is that the shifts are quicker. Not harsh by any means, just quicker. The box seems much more in tune with my driving style. I didn't even bother using active select, as it was great in auto sport shift.
So, if your auto is due for a service, grab one of these babies. Its a nice upgrade and very cheap. All you need is the pan, pick up and gasket. Available in Aus I believe. But I bought both of mine from Mace Performance in the US.

How does the Redline compare to the MSE shift wise?

The shifts on my Magnum(still factory) are way ahead of the Maloo(which has been improved by tuning).

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Did you purchase the wide mouth Trans Pan / Depth 3 5/16" from Pace Performance?

https://paceperformance.com/i-84341...sion-pan-kit-with-wide-mouth-filter-6l80.html

Here's another US supplier
https://www.yourcovers.com/transpan_11087.php
2018-11-08 22.49.05.png

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Why not adding instead a Transmission Oil Cooler? Increase the capacity, better heat transfer and keep the OEM low profile.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
How does the Redline compare to the MSE shift wise?

The shifts on my Magnum(still factory) are way ahead of the Maloo(which has been improved by tuning).
I use the paddles in the Motorsport quite often. Not that I drive it much. But yeah, despite the Redline trans being tuned, the stock tune on the Motorsport is magnificent. It was streets ahead of the Redline pre the pan change and yes, even when the Redline was new, or just tuned. It hasn't changed. The Redline trans is still as good as new. But, the Motorsport trans is just that much better. Both 6L80E's, but 4 years apart. I wouldn't be surprised if there are a few internal differences? Or it could just be the tune. If it is the tune, I'd love to get it for my Redline. It's a lot better.
Still need more time in the Redline to really get a feel for it though. As it happens, I'm cruising up the Hume towards Sydney today, then through Bowral and the Kangaroo Valley. Great opportunity to put it through its paces.:)