Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Car Won't crank - opinions needed

jprior2912

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Hello all,

I've been diving deep into this forum over the past few days trying to look for some kind of answer, but I'm still not 100% sure.

I bought a really cheap 04 auto VZ executive last week, and was told it needed a new starter and then it would run fine.

Changed starter and still nothing at all. On the dash I'm getting the 'Very low Fuel' and 'Service Vehichle Soon' warning, and I can not for the life of me get the car to even crank by turning the ignition. I can get the car to crank if I bypass the starter relay, but it does not fire. As a few people on here have said, this usually would be a failed ECU?

What has me a bit puzzled however, is I get weird things happening - When I turn the parker lights on, the speedo will climb to like, 100km+ and beep madly at me, same as when I turn on the defog!

I'm not sure if the above would point at failed ECU, or is that more an earth issue?

If it is a failed ECU, I will have some questions about the replacement of that too!

Cheers,
James

Bonus

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 VE SV6
Before you attempt to crank the engine, is the flashing lock symbol on the dash still flashing?

jprior2912

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Before you attempt to crank the engine, is the flashing lock symbol on the dash still flashing?

Oops sorry, forgot to mention this - no flashing lock on the dash.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you tried a new relay? If not they are under 20 bucks from the dealer. Relay is the same one from VR right through to VE. AFAIK Repco don't sell them. I tried and was told they don't have a listing.

jprior2912

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Have you tried a new relay? If not they are under 20 bucks from the dealer. Relay is the same one from VR right through to VE. AFAIK Repco don't sell them. I tried and was told they don't have a listing.

Yep tried different relays and a different ECM fuse too. Even when I bridge the starter relay it'll crank but not fire.

Trev084

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
ECM has circuit faults, a few threads on here covering these symptoms with one thing in common, bad ECM.

Turn the key on, remove the starter relay and short the power and start terminals, the car will start.

jprior2912

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
ECM has circuit faults, a few threads on here covering these symptoms with one thing in common, bad ECM.

Turn the key on, remove the starter relay and short the power and start terminals, the car will start.

This is exactly what I was thinking the issue is..
Although, by shorting the terminals, it just cranks my car, does not start it!

Trev084

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 6 Seat Wagon. 2005 VZ SV6
So ignition on, no security light flashing and it’s still not starting?