Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Clicking/Chicking noise coming from engine

Crissyb1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
OK so ive got this noise and sounds like chick chick chick. its not a solid knocking maybe a tapping type noise. ill post a video if need be. when cars cold u can barely hear it. afta a few minutes of driving it gets louder and louder. And of course as the revs go up the noise is faster. And it does it in idle.

Had one mechanic say its my alternator bearing - which is wrong because a car stethoscope and its definately coming from the air intake manifold or rocker/ lifter area.

Went to another mechanic they checked it out and they were sure its a lifter or maybe a rocker. im not gonna put money in to this car so im gonna change the lifters myself wit the aid of my mate who works at yella terra.

Now before i open my engine up could this be nething else? 2nd mechanic said its definately not the harmonic balancer or any of the other pulley/ bearings? and how much could i get some lifters for? and suggestions would be great!

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
could be a rocker or noisy injector, just pull the rocker covers off and check the rockers are tight, if you dont wanna spend money on it then i wouldn't worry about replacement

Bizmark

Reaction score
Members Ride
93' Pov-Pac
Noisy/sticky lifter or noisy injector seems like the most common cause for this noise. I have the same issue you have but haven't looked into it yet.

Though i hear that in the case of sticky lifters, the noise will go away when you increase the revs on the engine.

Crissyb1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
Noisy/sticky lifter or noisy injector seems like the most common cause for this noise. I have the same issue you have but haven't looked into it yet.

Though i hear that in the case of sticky lifters, the noise will go away when you increase the revs on the engine.

On saturday took my injectors out and had them cleaned didnt have time to take the rocker cover off as i had a few other problems wit the car i had to attend to. And yes when i hit about 4k rpm u can barely hear it.

Crissyb1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
could be a rocker or noisy injector, just pull the rocker covers off and check the rockers are tight, if you dont wanna spend money on it then i wouldn't worry about replacement

you dont think i should worry about replacment? wont it get worse and then eventually the lifter will be destroyed and cause more trouble.

The mechanic did say that i would have to replace all the lifters because it would be hard to pin point which one it is!

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
I have never done this with a commodore before but If you are on a budget It may be possible to just remove the lifters, pull them apart and clean them, then bleed them up and refit the engine.. Ive done this on other cars and worked perfectly fine

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
very common to have noisy lifters WHEN HOT but NOT when COLD
alot of times going the next thickness of oil up will stop your noise or at least make it quieter
if a sticking lifter was to fail
then it would jam and not expand to the gap and get very noisy so noisy youll want to fix it~!
but basically wont damage anything until gets very loud may bend some valve components (unlikely but)
so go a thickler oil and do a good change on it like from 5w-30 to 15w-40 for e.g.
just go at least one thickness up and see if noise changes if it does its most likely a lifter causing noise...

oh not enough oil pressure can cause noisy lifters like an old motor so thicker oil may mask up a slightly worn motor for this fault
but eventually noise will return if this is case by then with thicker oil the engine light will come on before any damage

Crissyb1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
thanks guys for the help. jst wanted another opinion on the car seeing as tho i hav spent a lot of money on my car when the mechanic has been wrong! on saturday im gonna replace the lifters and see how i go. will post again with results

mwemy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator
thicker oil fixes all