Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead L77 Options

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
Engine is kaput in my very clean VE Calais V S2. Not going to get into it too much because what's done is done. Moving forward.

I like cars but on a surface level. Enjoy the thrill of driving a nice car as much as anybody but I don't gaf how they work up to a certain point. I could build you a computer with my eyes closed because that's something that interests me but I wouldn't know where to start to change my brake pads. I take care of my things and do my part by getting my car serviced on time every time and let the mechanics figure out the rest.

Unfortunately despite this I find myself in a precarious situation now that my engine has prematurely failed at relatively low k's. I'm under pressure to make an expensive decision with limited knowledge and it's stressing me out so I humbly ask that you lend me some of your collective wisdom.

Firstly the current engine has AFM disabled and it has been cammed, tuned, OTR. If I straight swap a bone stock L77 in there I imagine that's going to cause some problems.

Will a tune sort that out or is there anything else I should be aware of? What is the best/cheapest/easiest way to revert to a factory tune?

Alternatively what are my options for swapping to another LS (choice/cost/availability reasons)? If I find an LS3 going cheap is that viable or would I run into compatibility issues? ECU, wiring looms etc? What would be required to get it running? $$?

Lastly this is a bit pie in the sky maybe but I ask that you humour me. Hypothetically speaking if I'm looking at $8-12k for a beat up motor what's stopping me from dropping another $2k to get a brand new complete crate L77/LS3? Is there something I'm missing there?

• Sad
Reactions: Lex

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thought about getting the current engine rebuilt? Unless the crankcase has been ventilated by a wayward con rod...
L76/L98/L77 and LS3 are all compatible with your current E38 ECU, but you'll need the stock tune file re-flashed to suit whichever engine you install.

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
Thought about getting the current engine rebuilt? Unless the crankcase has been ventilated by a wayward con rod...
L76/L98/L77 and LS3 are all compatible with your current E38 ECU, but you'll need the stock tune file re-flashed to suit whichever engine you install.
Pretty certain it's too far gone. Mechanic seems to think I'll be chasing down issues forever if I go down that route. Thanks for the info. Maybe a silly question but can Holden service centres flash stock tunes?

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
Pretty certain it's too far gone. Mechanic seems to think I'll be chasing down issues forever if I go down that route. Thanks for the info. Maybe a silly question but can Holden service centres flash stock tunes?

As Imoengnr said, unless the block has had a conrod go through it, you can get it rebuilt.

What did your mechanic say happened?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not really sure about Holden re-flashing ECU's, but probably not.
There's probably a tuning shop close to you that can do it.

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
As Imoengnr said, unless the block has had a conrod go through it, you can get it rebuilt.

What did your mechanic say happened?
Really I'd be lying if I told you. I got the gist of it but a lot of it went over my head. Something something oil pressure, camshaft replacement, lifters, bunch of seals/gaskets, something something if we get further could be crankshaft or something about bearings, (rods?) yada yada. Simply put it was pretty bad.

Low oil pressure is obviously a standout but even now I'm not sure how or why that was missed by every mechanic until after the engine developed a lifter tick and they couldn't ignore the problem anymore.

I'm frustrated and it's unfortunate that they didn't catch it earlier but what can you do. Whatever the case he seemed concerned about having me drop thousands when there's no guarantee that it can be salvaged. He convinced me that the money would be better spent going for a swap. Honestly I have no idea at this point.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
If I were you, I'd look into it further, as a full rebuild of your L77 will probably come out cheaper than a second hand engine with 100,000kms on it.

Plus you'll be able to run whatever cam you want and any other mods to suit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like the common failed lifter issue. Likely taken out the cam and maybe sent metal through the bearings. If you can afford it an exchange engine would be nice. Or get yours pulled and taken to a machine shop for a rebuild.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe have a chat to Rev High and see what they recommend. I'm not sure if they build engines but they are really well priced on upgraded parts for LS engines.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
@ Avarice, I've read every post and I got it from the first one, which was crystal clear. I like cars and computers. I love cars and computers. I don't do cars with computers. My cars with computers go to experts for servicing and work. My old cars without computers I take apart and put together myself. I'm currently building a new 4K gaming rig with a1300W PSU, an RTS 4090 and I'll be overclocking its 13600K.

I don't think your mechanic has served you well and would suggest changing him, before your engine. Imoengnr has given you the soundest advice so far I think. I value his opinions on Holden matters and would take on board any advice he offered me.