Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead L77 Options

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Try Rev High. They are well priced on parts and will install upgraded parts. I just don't know if they do full rebuilds including cam bearings, but they would be a good starting point.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thread cleaned.

If you don't have anything constructive to add then don't post a comment. Lets try adulting for a while!
If you “cleaned“ the thread, then you should have also removed post #11 “FFS you cnuts!” and post #13 which references a post which is no longer within this thread and thus contributes nothing to the flow…

And removing my post, the part about service obligations under ACL, probably wasn't the best as it’s relevant to the OP’s issue.

Delete #11 & #13 and this post and then you can say thread cleaned.

Just sayin…

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
If you “cleaned“ the thread, then you should have also removed post #11 “FFS you cnuts!” and post #13 which references a post which is no longer within this thread and thus contributes nothing to the flow…

And removing my post, the part about service obligations under ACL, probably wants the best as it’s relevant to the OP’s issue.

Delete #11 & #13 and this post and then you can say thread cleaned.

Just sayin…

Maybe take the hint and stop replying if you have nothing to add. Post #11 is rather appropriate.

If you have nothing to add on the topic don't post.

Just saying...

BTW, this does not need a reply!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Tangentially related can any one recommend a reputable shop around SE Melb that can either rebuild or swap the engine? Maybe even tune it? Would prefer to get it done right the first time. The more I look into it the bigger my headache gets.
I have no experience with tuners in your area, but there are quite a few.
I'm sure you'll get some recommendations from other forum members in your area.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Next person to post a comment that is off topic gets a holiday.

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
Yes it does.

How is post #11 appropriate when you've removed the comments that you feel justifies that post (rhetorical)?
Really, it's your prerogative to remove posts but that logic you've just stated for keeping post #11 is a fail :rolleyes:

I'll leave it at that ;)

As for my earlier removed comment, i'll repeat it again for @Avarice 's benefit.

Under Australian Consumer Law, service must be provided with due care and skill. And if there were issues with squeaking eminating from the upper part of the engine and you brought that to the attention of the mechanic that provided your service, then the mechanic should have checked more thoroughly (due to the known lifter issues and related weaknesses in these engines). Had he done so, may be such a failure could have been avoided or minimised. Making appropriate checks (or advising teh client that some further checks are required) is providing service with due care and skill ;)

So if you feel that was not the case and service was provided with less than due care and skill, best call Consumer Affairs Victoria and speek some advice on what action you can take. Why, because engine builds aren't cheap and recouping the rebuild cost can be a nice bonus... It can be an uphill battle dealing with ACL issues but you've got a potential 10K to 20K bill to fix the shite that may have been caused by someone elses mistake :rolleyes:
Thanks for the advice. Honestly I hear what you're saying. I'd love put it back on shop as they're professionals that should have spotted this from a mile away. This appears to be a common problem so how on earth did they miss it time and again?

I was let down every step of the way by apathetic and borderline useless mechanics that didn't really care to figure out what was going on with my car. The feeling that my concerns weren't being heard made me frustrated as anything but I don't know enough to say definitively that they were wrong. I had to practically beg them to have a proper look at it the times I took it in. The last time they had it they said they tech took it for a spin and it was absolutely fine engine wise and to maybe check out the transmission instead (lol). In hindsight they basically wiped their hands of it because they didn't know/care.

If they had made even a single suggestion that the oil pressure was low/lifters showed signs of failing I would have had authorised the repair immediately before it took out everything else with it.

I wouldn't even know where to start to get my head around the timeline because it's been in and out so many times now + I took it to at least two shops. If I open that can of worms I'm concerned that they'll both just point the finger at the other one and I'll get nowhere and end up even more frustrated.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Really I'd be lying if I told you. I got the gist of it but a lot of it went over my head. Something something oil pressure, camshaft replacement, lifters, bunch of seals/gaskets, something something if we get further could be crankshaft or something about bearings, (rods?) yada yada. Simply put it was pretty bad.

Low oil pressure is obviously a standout but even now I'm not sure how or why that was missed by every mechanic until after the engine developed a lifter tick and they couldn't ignore the problem anymore.

I'm frustrated and it's unfortunate that they didn't catch it earlier but what can you do. Whatever the case he seemed concerned about having me drop thousands when there's no guarantee that it can be salvaged. He convinced me that the money would be better spent going for a swap. Honestly I have no idea at this point.
had a lifter go in my cammed VE6l. I pulled the heads and found the dud lifter, swapped out the cam new tie bar lifters dropped the sump cleaned all the metal out of engine. New oil pump fitted changed oil/filter several times no issues since. I got lucky. Note tie barlifters needed diffrent lenght push rods

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
had a lifter go in my cammed VE6l. I pulled the heads and found the dud lifter, swapped out the cam new tie bar lifters dropped the sump cleaned all the metal out of engine. New oil pump fitted changed oil/filter several times no issues since. I got lucky. Note tie barlifters needed diffrent lenght push rods
Thanks. Hearing things like this makes me believe that these engines are more robust than I was lead to believe. It's beginning to look more and more like partial/full rebuild territory rather than throwing it out and starting again.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Thanks. Hearing things like this makes me believe that these engines are more robust than I was lead to believe. It's beginning to look more and more like partial/full rebuild territory rather than throwing it out and starting again.
If it hasn't thrown a rod through the crankcase, a partial rebuild will work out well.