Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead L77 Options

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
FFS you cnuts! Why is it whenever somebody comes here asking for help with a major issue multiple people always immediately jump in and pile-on with victim blaming instead of actually reading the person's fukcing post properly?

I take care of my things and do my part by getting my car serviced on time every time and let the mechanics figure out the rest.

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
@ Avarice, I've read every post and I got it from the first one, which was crystal clear. I like cars and computers. I love cars and computers. I don't do cars with computers. My cars with computers go to experts for servicing and work. My old cars without computers I take apart and put together myself. I'm currently building a new 4K gaming rig with a1300W PSU, an RTS 4090 and I'll be overclocking its 13600K.

I don't think your mechanic has served you well and would suggest changing him, before your engine. Imoengnr has given you the soundest advice so far I think. I value his opinions on Holden matters and would take on board any advice he offered me.
Ha I feel you.
Sounds like a monster. A rig like that should last you a looooong time.

Agreed. I was failed by my usual mechanic and it's a very expensive lesson learned. I might ask again regarding rebuilding instead of swapping it out but I did push the first time and he strongly recommended I just replace it. Based on some of the responses here I might ask around whether a rebuild actually seems feasible in my case.

Thanks for your input.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
@Avarice, the 1st paragraph is a bit of fun (though it may be a little frustrating given your frustration) but you’re better to focus on the 2nd paragraph and ask/answer questions related #2 rather than react to #1 :cool:

Hope you take it as friendly advice ;)

And I don't really need you telling people how to decipher what I write! He should be old enough to think for himself.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Ha I feel you.
Sounds like a monster. A rig like that should last you a looooong time.

Agreed. I was failed by my usual mechanic and it's a very expensive lesson learned. I might ask again regarding rebuilding instead of swapping it out but I did push the first time and he strongly recommended I just replace it. Based on some of the responses here I might ask around whether a rebuild actually seems feasible in my case.

Thanks for your input.

It's only going to seem harder for you than repairing a PC because of the unknowns. How much of a factor is time? Is it urgent - weeks or months?

Equating it to a PC, um. An engine swap is like changing motherboards. The CPU socket may be the same but if you aren't replacing with the exact same model you could end up with complications such as RAM compatibility, chipset and driver issues for example.

I 'd probably ask around everyone I know locally and try try to find a mechanic to talk to who is or knows an experienced Holden 6 Litre engine builder and is willing to discuss it. He'll probably be very busy and won't be able to quote a firm price without taking it apart. But if it's as bad as you say, you could assume the worst case and see how much a full rebuild will cost. Maybe a replacement L77 crate engine would end up being quicker and eventually less stressful in the long run, if you want to keep the car.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Earlier, I think what was being asked about what happened or how, wasn’t having a crack. If we have an idea of what the motor goes through, or how you use the car, it goes a long way to help with recommendations for moving forward. Nothing more in it.

To help you get your head around what’s required, I’d suggest watching a few LS build videos. There’s some great, simple to follow guides. All will have someone saying what’s being done is wrong. That’s not the idea. All will show you how these wonderfully simple and rebuildable engines go together if you are paying someone to do it.

A full tear down. Good explanations.
I loved the work Laty did but he has bailed on the YouTubes :(

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
It's only going to seem harder for you than repairing a PC because of the unknowns. How much of a factor is time? Is it urgent - weeks or months?

Equating it to a PC, um. An engine swap is like changing motherboards. The CPU socket may be the same but if you aren't replacing with the exact same model you could end up with complications such as RAM compatibility, chipset and driver issues for example.

I 'd probably ask around everyone I know locally and try try to find a mechanic to talk to who is or knows an experienced Holden 6 Litre engine builder and is willing to discuss it. He'll probably be very busy and won't be able to quote a firm price without taking it apart. But if it's as bad as you say, you could assume the worst case and see how much a full rebuild will cost. Maybe a replacement L77 crate engine would end up being quicker and eventually less stressful in the long run, if you want to keep the car.
Well I WAS stressing out as I'm borrowing a car to get around for a couple weeks until I sort something else out but I've learned about 5 minutes ago that my wifeys nan is hanging up her keys so a I can borrow her car almost indefinitely.

Yeah I can pretty much safely assume at least a full rebuild might be in order based on my last phone call. Plan on holding onto the car for a long time. It's in great condition and they're never making any more. Trying to fight the urge to drop a new engine in there for just a touch more but trying not to let the intrusive thoughts win, haha. Have the freedom to sleep on it for a couple weeks before I decide any which way.
Earlier, I think what was being asked about what happened or how, wasn’t having a crack. If we have an idea of what the motor goes through, or how you use the car, it goes a long way to help with recommendations for moving forward. Nothing more in it.

To help you get your head around what’s required, I’d suggest watching a few LS build videos. There’s some great, simple to follow guides. All will have someone saying what’s being done is wrong. That’s not the idea. All will show you how these wonderfully simple and rebuildable engines go together if you are paying someone to do it.

A full tear down. Good explanations.
I loved the work Laty did but he has bailed on the YouTubes :(
Awesome, thanks for the video! I may not understand it completely but I'll check it out and maybe learn a thing or two. Much appreciated.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Really I'd be lying if I told you. I got the gist of it but a lot of it went over my head. Something something oil pressure, camshaft replacement, lifters, bunch of seals/gaskets, something something if we get further could be crankshaft or something about bearings, (rods?) yada yada. Simply put it was pretty bad.

Low oil pressure is obviously a standout but even now I'm not sure how or why that was missed by every mechanic until after the engine developed a lifter tick and they couldn't ignore the problem anymore.

I'm frustrated and it's unfortunate that they didn't catch it earlier but what can you do. Whatever the case he seemed concerned about having me drop thousands when there's no guarantee that it can be salvaged. He convinced me that the money would be better spent going for a swap. Honestly I have no idea at this point.
So here’s a video on what commonly happens with these engines, which sounds like what has happened to yours. The roller lifter either seizes or spins sideways and wipes out the cam lobe.

If it is what has happened to yours the engine is completely rebuildable as it just needs new bearings, cam, oil pump, etc. So basically a standard rebuild with a new cam. You can also use this opportunity to get rid of the DOD completely, instead of it just being deactivated in software (assuming thats the case as that’s what it sounds like based on your description of “deactivated”).

If it was me I’d get a full rebuild done with DOD delete and make sure that you either use genuine LS7 lifters and genuine lifter trays or Johnson tie bar lifters (removes the plastic trays all together) as these are the weakest points in an LS engine.

Also it’s highly advisable to shorten the oil change intervals if you’re not doing this already as 15,000kms is way too long. Most people on here either go half’s (7500kms) or thirds (5000kms).

Last edited:

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
So here’s a video on what commonly happens with these engines, which sounds like what has happened to yours. The roller lifter either seizes or spins sideways and wipes out the cam lobe.

If it is what has happened to yours the engine is completely rebuildable as it just needs new bearings, cam, oil pump, etc. So basically a standard rebuild with a new cam. You can also use this opportunity to get rid of the DOD completely, instead of it just being deactivated in software (assuming thats the case as that’s what it sounds like based on your description of “deactivated”).

If it was me I’d get a full rebuild done with DOD delete and make sure that you either use genuine LS7 lifters and genuine lifter trays or Johnson tie bar lifters (removes the plastic trays all together) as these are the weakest points in an LS engine.

Also it’s highly advisable to shorten the oil change intervals if you’re not doing this already as 15,000kms is way too long. Most people on here either go half’s (7500kms) or thirds (5000kms).

Very informative thank you. Appreciate the info and advice. I'll definitely be playing it safe in the future and I'll change the oil more frequently if it will help avoid this happening again.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thread cleaned.

If you don't have anything constructive to add then don't post a comment. Lets try adulting for a while!

Avarice

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S2
Tangentially related can any one recommend a reputable shop around SE Melb that can either rebuild or swap the engine? Maybe even tune it? Would prefer to get it done right the first time. The more I look into it the bigger my headache gets.