Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dead VG Ute

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Black thing is map sensor..has vacuum hose & 3 wire plug & probably go into limp mode if disconnected,run rough.

Green wire looks like air compressor wire

Ecu earths are in wiring harness to block.

Have you checked for fault codes?
I’d worked out the green wire was probably aircon wire by it’s proximity to the aircon mount. I’ll have to suss out the earths to the block & no I don’t have anything to check codes with. I was sitting in the cab today when it was idling high then low then almost stopping before picking up again & the engine light was coming on & going off. I’m starting to suspect the MAP so I ordered a new one today, along with an oxygen sensor & air temp sensor. I’ll get the right one eventually....

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Should always check codes first...saves heaps of time & arsing around.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
That's the MAP sensor, 3 wires the light green one, a blue one and a green & yellow one.The engine harness should be earthed to an earth on the module mounting stud. If you can find it in a photo Holden call it "location E". If the ECM's not earthed that may be your problem, but I'm not a V6 expert.

I’ll check that earth next week when I’m home again, gotta hit the road for work in the morning.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
What sort of code reader would I need for a VG ute?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Small split pin or stripped wire.

Cheaper than buying parts not needed................................

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Small split pin or stripped wire.

Cheaper than buying parts not needed................................
Ok just did a search & found how to do it, Will suss it out when I’m home next. Thanks....

Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Sorry, I assumed that you'd done these ALDL tests. The tests using the old diagnostic connection next to the glove box are a good place to start but no where as comprehensive as a modern OBD2 code reader will achieve on later cars. I hope they pinpoint your problem or at least narrow down where you should be looking.

I carry a paperclip in the glove box & a printout of what the flash codes mean for doing any analysis on the road if needed.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
For vn/p easier to rig up a permanent earth switch in glove box to (diagnostics) white/black trace wire...flick switch codes come up.

Vr/s split pin,old speaker wire or anything that will bridge pins 5 & 6....then teach owner how to check fault codes themselves.

Pete O

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 VG ute
Sorry, I assumed that you'd done these ALDL tests. The tests using the old diagnostic connection next to the glove box are a good place to start but no where as comprehensive as a modern OBD2 code reader will achieve on later cars. I hope they pinpoint your problem or at least narrow down where you should be looking.

I carry a paperclip in the glove box & a printout of what the flash codes mean for doing any analysis on the road if needed.

Thanks, I have a copy of the codes now & will do the checks when I get back home. Thanks for the help with it.