Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff oil replacement

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Thanks for the heads up @lmoengnr now I have the needed excuse for a better, bigger floor jack :p

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Thanks for the heads up @lmoengnr now I have the needed excuse for a better, bigger floor jack :p
be careful skylark i orderded the thinnest one ive seen which was linked on here and it still cant really get under the stock front bumper. have to side jack, prop then use the k frame point.

its a very good jack for the price though, 3 ton, 70mm minimum, 550ish maximum for about $180

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
be careful skylark i orderded the thinnest one ive seen which was linked on here and it still cant really get under the stock front bumper. have to side jack, prop then use the k frame point.

its a very good jack for the price though, 3 ton, 70mm minimum, 550ish maximum for about $180

Has your ute been lowered? I can get my jack under the front of the Magnum, but it wouldn't go under the front of the Maloo even at stock height.

I bought a pair of steel extension ramps that clip to standard ramps to give the Maloo enough clearance to jack via the front cross member.
Saw on FB that Aeroflo now have low profile plastic ramps that would be suitable for the same thing.

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Has your ute been lowered? I can get my jack under the front of the Magnum, but it wouldn't go under the front of the Maloo even at stock height.

I bought a pair of steel extension ramps that clip to standard ramps to give the Maloo enough clearance to jack via the front cross member.
Saw on FB that Aeroflo now have low profile plastic ramps that would be suitable for the same thing.
no but im possibly misremembering. I have ramps for the rear and maybe that angle is the issue to get the jack under the front and the whole car off the ground. saw a couple of wheel jacks cheap(600kg each). be a good idea for a stored car that your working on.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85

ive got those areoflow ramps now to use as i uset to drive up on a couple pieces of length of 1-1/2" pine wood but every now and then they would skid on the ground, those aeroflow ones look good just high enough to get the big jack under the hsv front bar

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

Something to consider so again thanks for the heads up.

It’s odd though as I thought a vehicle must have minimum running clearance of at least 100mm. So in that context, why won’t a floor jack with a 70mm snout fit under your bumper? Is it that the jack snout is not long enough to get to the lift point?

Seems like just another reason to dislike long front overhangs in modern cars :oops:

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Seems like just another reason to dislike long front overhangs in modern cars :oops:

The cross member is a long way behind the bumper, most 'low profile' trolley jacks wont fit, especially if its been lowered slightly.

There are long commercial workshop jacks designed for lowered vehicles, but they are expensive, and take up a lot of floor space.

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
Also consider that as the jack platform comes up it may foul on bodywork prior to lifting the car. I have this issue on my VY Clubsport. I can jack it at the rear (just) from the diff with my 3 ton Kinchrome jack but while I can get it positioned under the front subframe OK, when the platform starts moving up it fouls on the front bumper before it starts to contact/lift the subframe. I have to scissor jack the side and then lift it off the scissor jack.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I want built in air struts like in supercars, then jacking won’t be a problem :p