Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Disgusting

speeding ad with baby!

• Remove it from TV?

Votes: 39 29.8%
  • Display it at a later time (after 9pm)?

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • Leave it on?

Votes: 59 45.0%
  • Other?

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Driver training is awesome

VSTrev said:
When are the governments going to realise that putting all this money into driver training rather then these adds is going to save more lives. Sure speed is a contributor, but its not the main reason for most accidents.

I've got to 100% agree with you on this bit, VSTrev, I reckon it is far too easy for people to get a licence to drive, and the standards of the average driver on our roads reflects this.

The Qld Government has finally twigged to this in a small way, by starting up Q-Ride for people wanting to get their motorbike licence. Instead of the usual 12 months on a learners and then being restricted to a 250cc or less while on P-plates, you can now do a 2 day course at an accredited training provider, which in my experience was bloody awesome, and you have your open licence immediately. I had a dead set fear of getting on my bike for months after doing that course, and a much better understanding of its limitations and dynamics in all sorts or normal and emergency maneuvers.

That's only from a 2 day course.

They covered all sorts of stuff, from the basics like turns and stops, working the signals and mirrors, chicanes and all that basic kinda stuff on the 1st day, into things like emergency braking, countersteering, roadcraft, defensive driving and accident prevention, and finally a 30km trip on the road with an instructor at the front and back of our group. They would periodically pull over and offer some advice, constantly watching what we were doing and assessing our safety and attitudes.

Above all, the biggest impression I gained from the course was that if you are involved in a accident, it is always, in some degree, your fault. Because as far as motorbikes go, it really doesn't matter a hell of a lot whose fault it was, you are going to be in a real bad way if you collect a car or a truck, whether or not it was their fault or yours. Don't leave the prevention of an accident in the other driver's hands, cos it's you that's going to bite it!

The mindset that these 2 days of intensive driver training instilled in me 100% washed over into driving my car, too. Like always being on the lookout for potential hazards ahead, driving to suit conditions instead of just sitting on the speed limit, and taking full repsonsibility for prevention of accidents.

I haven't had an accident in over 10 years, and even so, this course was a massive wake up call for me.

Why shouldn't training like this be mandatory for all new drivers?

Harts_94VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR II
Just to compare with another field as well, if you go for a pilot's licence, the first level you can achieve is your Private licence, which will let you fly passengers anywhere in Australia, but it limits you so that you can't work in a commercial field, like charter or flight instructing or anything like that.

The MINIMUM requirements (which you would virtually have to be a freak to achieve) for just the Private licence are 40 hours of flight instruction, and probably double that amount of time in the classroom, and maybe triple that amount of time in home study, just to achieve the pass marks in the theory subjects, and also to achieve the levels of knowledge and skill necessary to pass the flight test.

Commerical minimum levels are 150 hours flight training and 7 additional theory subjects (usually takes about 1-2 months of solid theory classes to pass those), and Airline pilots require a minimum of 1,500 hours flight time, plus even further passes in theory exams.

These minimum levels of training are necessary because aeroplanes are potentially extremely dangerous machines in poorly trained hands. Other people's lives are in your hands on a regular basis.

Can't the same be said about cars?

Silver

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK V8 Calais
Leave the add exactly the way it is. If it is getting attention, either good or bad it just might achieve something towards curbing the shocking complacent attitude a lot of Australian people have on our roads. Wake up to yourselves and try to understand what is happening out on our roads. Most people don't have any idea what we have to deal with at the scene of a road accident rescue. We deal in blood, screaming, pain and quite often death. So while you're tucked up warm in your beds and are quite oblivious to what is happening on our roads, we're out there dealing with the results of poor driving skills, inattention and carelessness. Road accidents aren't pretty and neither is the commercial you're all talking about but it's real. If you find it offensive, take it upon yourself to do something about it then. Start campaigning for safer roads and more comprehensive driving lessons and exams. Do something!

Paul.
Road Crash Rescue Instructor.
Metropolitan Fire Service.

jacko

Reaction score
I have seen this ad many times on TV, and I usually change the channel when it comes on. It is very graphic, but it does get the point across. I really think it really makes us more aware of all the consequences of speeding, in that way. So even though it is graphic, I've only ever seen it on late at night (9.30pm onwards), so I say leave it on for now.

R

rattattack1313

that bike course sounds interesting.......................I have been riding on the roads since I was 14 &1/2...(34 or so years.....am now 48....local cops were nice to me cos I was only riding from home to work..small country town, etc etc...)..and I have always ridden as if every car is out to run me off the road...as some have tried over the years......(including 1 cop car in Victoria, that couldnt catch me, so he knocked me off the road.......bastard...lol..).... :whistling

pacey

I'm Back
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII 2000 Commodre Exec.
Silver said:
Leave the add exactly the way it is. If it is getting attention, either good or bad it just might achieve something towards curbing the shocking complacent attitude a lot of Australian people have on our roads. Wake up to yourselves and try to understand what is happening out on our roads. Most people don't have any idea what we have to deal with at the scene of a road accident rescue. We deal in blood, screaming, pain and quite often death. So while you're tucked up warm in your beds and are quite oblivious to what is happening on our roads, we're out there dealing with the results of poor driving skills, inattention and carelessness. Road accidents aren't pretty and neither is the commercial you're all talking about but it's real. If you find it offensive, take it upon yourself to do something about it then. Start campaigning for safer roads and more comprehensive driving lessons and exams. Do something!

Paul.
Road Crash Rescue Instructor.
Metropolitan Fire Service.

Totally with you 100%, I have been in the Police Service for only a short time and am fortunate enough not having to attend an accident scene of a horrific nature (yet) but have still seen aftermath of horrific accidents which would make even the toughest of stomachs churn. Unlike ads, this is the real stuff but unfortunatly most of the 'real' stuff can't be released for public viewing (bummer), but is spot on with the general idea of what happens and some people should wake up to this (no one on this forum though, no one speeds here) :whistling

These ads are great and will get through to a selected few, but unfortunately most experience it first hand before they realise what they did was stupid.

I say bring on even more dramatic and shocking ads, the next ad may very well deter a potential killer. It boils down to the mentality of people who believe that they can continue to speed and that nothing will ever happen to them.

M

motor eyes

thats a lot of rant! lol
i think the ad was screwed up, but how the hell does that help people from speeding? watch the add this can do to you???
i dont know. i think maybe theyve crossed the line a little bit... but it does kinda make you think twice about circumstances like that.

bloody camry drivers.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
motor eyes said:
. but it does kinda make you think twice about circumstances like that.

So they've succeeded. Good

ruredi

AVGJO3
Reaction score
Members Ride
'12 SS V Z Series Manaul Sportwagon
Well personally I haven't seen the ad although I by the sounds of it I think it should be left to air I mean look at the affect it has had just on this very forum...so it is doing SOMETHING rather than nothing and if it does get through to very selected amount of people then I suppose it is worth it...I also think that there is more that they sohuld be doing such as advanced driver training courses mentioned earlier...and you are right...people always think that nothing will happen to them until it does...what about all the people that have had accidents before...you don't think they were thinking the same thing...?

K

Krankz

Haven't seen the ad yet, live in NSW. Listened to other comments - for and against. These ads are made to make us get a instant reaction and make us stop and think and feel. Feel it needs to be there but as a mum feel it should be on after 9-9.30pm. If it has cut the road toll in other States it must be a good thing. These incidents do happen in reality, not just on the movies, does not hurt to give us all a good jolt now and then and just keep us aware on the roads at all times. Await to see the ad up here.