Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

doesnt make sense noise limits

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
i got pulled over by cops for speeding they booked me and put noise limit on my vt clubbie . it was 95 db. they said it had to be under 90db at 4200 rpm which they measured at the required 1/2 metre away from tip of exhaust . [this is in queensland and the coppers pulled out a book with all the required readings for the cars .] they said 90db ....but what reallly gets me is my hsv is a auto and for me to get to 4200 rpm in any gear to reach that 90db id be well and trully over speed limit in any gear . so now i have 2mths to fix and take to transport dept to check .coppers being a pain inthe .....

does anyone know a muffler exhaust shop northside brisbane that has a db reading meter icould go to

Last edited:

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
doesnt matter what speed you would be doing at that RPM.
you may want to do a bit of research about the subject too.
i was under the impression that in the era your car was made, the legal db was a fraction higher than 90db.
for new cars as of last year (i think) it was reduced to 90db.
only cars manufactured after that date have to comply.
yours being built earlier will have to comply to whatever the legal requirements were in that time.
check it out.

gazzabrizz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT HSV
coppers pulled out their book vt clubsport lsi motor and requirements read 90 db .any different let me know .

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
if thats what the book said and you willing to take their word for it then theres nothing you can do about it.
your just going to have to make the car quieter by 5db.
sucks, but you can always change it back once its passed again.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
The old reading was 94db.

I wasn't aware that old laws applied, considering a factory standard exhaust would be well within the limits.

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR

Holdens Rule

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais V6
What's the big deal? If you put a louder exhaust on it then you know you take a chance you might get done for it. I like loud cars but ask someone who has had a baby, when you get a chance to get some sleep it's good if you don't get someone burning down the street with their loud car waking then up! What's 5db anyway, does it make much difference to the look of your car or even the way it goes?

If it does bother you thou then just stick some chicken wire in your exhaust when you go to get the defect off it. Your car will be quieter but the wire will burn out pretty soon after and then you can keep going until next time you get done.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
just shove some steel whool or something in the exhaust and try it

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
Your kidding right? Why should i be blamed for someones choice to have kids, or for them being light sleepers?

The sooner people in this country just worry about themselves, the better of this nation will be!