Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E38 ecu

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Hey guys,

Probably a dumb question.

Does the L98 and LS3 use the same E38 ecu? I know it will be a different fuel/timing map and other things. As im looking at doing a LS3 swap in my VE.

Ive found a couple of for sale sites that say they do, but cannot find anything from Holden or GM.

Cheers,

Kirbs

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
just use your same ecu will be way easier then having to connect up another one with the vehicle/vin/bcm ect, then just get the tune looked at to make sure it works fine they are very close pretty much the only difference is .2L in the engine

Kirbs454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 Redline
Cheers mate, thats what i had thought. Wouldn't of thought there would be much of a difference with the extra .2L for the LS3.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
will be a small airflow difference from the ls3 with different cam but worth just getting a tune anyway make it all good

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Same ECU type, yes but maybe retain the L98 throttle with older ECU firmware coz old ECU doesnt support throttle open the other way. Later ECU is more flexible, in that it can take more OS versions including can flash better (more developed tune).
Some OS were used in both and even the automatic (L99). Your tuner will know.
Basically the cam is different and a pube either side of the bore hence VE is different otherwise a straightforward flash. Personally I would get the later VE V8 ecu (2011-2013).