Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Electronic brake controller

ejwagon

EJwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF v6 Calais
Has anyone had brake controller fitted to their VF yet? I am looking for advice before I get one installed. I have heard that there is a factory wiring loom that can be purchased for a brake controller but the dealer I went to did not know of one.

I have the factory HD bar and harness installed on my Calais sedan.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Has anyone had brake controller fitted to their VF yet? I am looking for advice before I get one installed. I have heard that there is a factory wiring loom that can be purchased for a brake controller but the dealer I went to did not know of one.

I have the factory HD bar and harness installed on my Calais sedan.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do all VF Commodores not come with factory fitted EBC? I'm pretty sure they do as it's part of the ASM & ABS control.

ejwagon

EJwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF v6 Calais
Yes, sorry folks, I am talking about mounting and installing a brake controller for activating trailer/caravan brakes.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Yes, sorry folks, I am talking about mounting and installing a brake controller for activating trailer/caravan brakes.

I always thought electric brakes were on the trailer (NOT the car) and worked when the stop lights go on

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Electronically operated brakes (as on trailer/caravan etc) require a Brake Controller to be fitted/installed in the vehicle within easy reach of the driver. The most reliable one is made by Tekonsha, the P3 Model. They have to be hard wired into the vehicle electrical system and brake force is applied by the controller that detects inertial activity i.e. when the tow vehicle brakes the controller activates and sends power to the brakes thus applying them. The brake controller can also be manually activated, ideal if the trailer starts to sway or when descending hills etc. tekonsha p3 | eBay

ejwagon

EJwagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF v6 Calais
Thanks Benboy.
I am looking for anyone that has had one fitted for advice on installation tips for a VF.
FYI I am converting my caravan from hydraulic to electric brakes.

willyroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Berlina 5.7 Wagon
For electric brakes you'll need a controller, Tekonsha is a popular choice. It took an auto electrician around 2 hours to install mine (a Tekonsha P2) in a VXII wagon, pretty fiddly job, however worthwhile for the piece of mind. Make sure you take your car and trailer for a test run, I initially had too much assistance dialled in, however it doesn't take long to get the initial calibration right. You could save some money yourself by doing some of the prewiring, especially the long loom that goes from the controller (generally under the dash - it needs to be easily accessible) to the trailer plug at the towbar.

VFRDLN

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB CalaisV Tourer
I have the redarc tow pro and will be fitting it when I get the time. Installation is easy as there is a point in the factory tow wiring loom for a pick up. I will mount the unit next to the battery and may run the remote controler into the cab. It states in the owners manual that a pick up for the electric brakes should only be taken from this point. I am not sure where the pick up is but it will be in the boot behind the trim possibly on the drivers side. The tow wiring loom just plugs in between the standard wiring loom and converts the signal to a standard 12 volts rather than the varying voltage of can bus.