Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car cheap modifications

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
SIDI have a duel system

Last edited:

Pickle'

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Haha, yeah i wish.... Not likely and still on my p's at the moment. Im not to fussed about the badge holes or the exhaust, it would look tidy enough if i changed the lights and put a different exhaust but im happy enough at the moment!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
OK well I don't alot about cars (guess street cred just went into negative!) I was looking at used exhaust system parts that have discoloured or are showing signs of rust so I was thinking you could clean it up and then spray over it with Rust Guard

If you're looking at second hand OE systems, they're 409 stainless (as opposed to polished 304 stainless) - so it will just be a little surface rust - nothing to worry about. You could clean it up with a sand and then paint with heat proof paint but isn't really necessary. Some aftermarket systems made from 409 are painted - some aren't. it's just for aesthetics.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
scrap exhaust, scrap neons, they dont make your car look better, plain and simple is cheap and easy

1: clean and detail the whole car
2: book car in to get lowered
3: book car in to get windows tinted

you should get all that done for under $800

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
I disagree Phantom, SS exhausts look real good compared to stock.

HussySV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VW GOLF GTD
I disagree Phantom, SS exhausts look real good compared to stock.

Me 2 and especially if its a omega that had one side exhaust and now has a G8 DIFFUSER AND TWIN

Even on an SV6 - it comes one tip on each side, i just got my exhaust done and it did make the rear end look heaps better - but i see where your coming at and lowering and tint would be better option, then rims, but if he can find a ssv exhaust for 50bux then sure its worth it

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
A lot of people are saying to get the car lowered.
My Calais has the stock FE2 suspension, and to be honest, its already too low for Sydney city driving.
I am scraping on average three times a week on speed bumps.

I now know which speed bumps to be careful with, but it is annoying having to slow right down, and to drive over them on severe angles to try and limit any damage being done to the car, like I have some fully hetic lowered commodore.

I had lowered (legal height) on my previous falcon, and to be honest, the stock fe2 on this Calais is just as bad as that thing was.
Try the stock suspension for a couple of weeks, if you feel that lowering the car will not cause you grief, then go ahead.
But dont rush out and change the springs before sussing things out.

Also, keep an eye out on ebay for bargains things like interior / door trims, etc.
Calais / SSV Trims come round once in a while, giving you features such as door lights, leather arm rests, courtesy lamps, etc etc..
Just be aware of what fits and what doesnt.

A basic tip someone told me years ago, any mods you do to your car should have a purpose, not just be there for show.
Some good examples.
Tints - Look good and cool the interior of the car in summer.
LED Interior lights - help with power consumption, do not require replacement, looks good.
Wheels - Improve handling (with the right choice of wheel size and tire profile), also looks good.

Some bad examples.
Cut springs - May look good standing still, but you will always regret the pathetic handling once they are cut.
Cheap Chrome Rims - I have seen MANY cheap Chinese chrome rims shatter when hit with a pothole, causing more damage than they are worth.
Neons - Unless you are using them to illuminate areas like the boot, or interior when the doors are open, they serve no purpose.

B3nj

they see me trollin
Reaction score
Members Ride
'09 VE Omega
Congrats on the car.

From what I've read nobody mentioned to take off the mudflaps, makes a world of difference, and its free.

I've got an Omega, done a few small things.. some big... but its good fun adding personal touches and making it your own.

Good Luck