Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

First car cheap modifications

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
A lot of people are saying to get the car lowered.
My Calais has the stock FE2 suspension, and to be honest, its already too low for Sydney city driving.
I am scraping on average three times a week on speed bumps.

Where are you driving in Sydney to scrape with FE2? I never had a problem with mine at that height and even now, speed bumps aren't an issue. I know there are some shockers out there, but if the car is lowered to a legal level, the speed bumps shouldn't really affect it. I have to be more careful with dodgy driveways and sudden changes of angle (where the middle of the car will scrape). I will DEFINITELY be avoiding the speed bumps you're scraping on!!!

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Hi TinSnips, Your right, Carparks and private properties are the biggest and only culprits at this point.
I guess if your car never visits a car park, or goes on private property, then you wont need to worry about lowering your car.
I dont know if utes are any different (They are meant to carry large heavy loads on the back, so maybe sedans are a bit different).

As for avoiding the speed humps, yeah of course that would be the perfect solution, however my car is a daily driver not a garage queen.
Its used to get shopping, to go to work, to visit clients.. Its driven everyday, and like I said, I experience bottoming out at least 3 times a week.
Nothing changes this fact.
And like I said, my previous ride was lowered, and I lived with it for over 9 years.
It was fun for the first two years, whist the car was not a daily driver.
When it became a daily driver, it became really annoying !

This is why I recommend people seriously consider lowering their car if its a daily driver. It can introduce more problems than its worth.

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Zerone if it is really annoying you could put Omega shocks and springs in. Then you could go 4x4ing :p
But seriously you could put them in an they would not cost you very much...

showxpony

Reaction score
Members Ride
Redline SSV
Hi TinSnips, Your right, Carparks and private properties are the biggest and only culprits at this point.
I guess if your car never visits a car park, or goes on private property, then you wont need to worry about lowering your car.
I dont know if utes are any different (They are meant to carry large heavy loads on the back, so maybe sedans are a bit different).

As for avoiding the speed humps, yeah of course that would be the perfect solution, however my car is a daily driver not a garage queen.
Its used to get shopping, to go to work, to visit clients.. Its driven everyday, and like I said, I experience bottoming out at least 3 times a week.
Nothing changes this fact.
And like I said, my previous ride was lowered, and I lived with it for over 9 years.
It was fun for the first two years, whist the car was not a daily driver.
When it became a daily driver, it became really annoying !

This is why I recommend people seriously consider lowering their car if its a daily driver. It can introduce more problems than its worth.

At the end of the day you have a sports suspension setup. FE2 is designed to handle well as well as be comfortable enough to on everyday roads. My car is on coilovers, which sits roughly 85mm from the lowest point under the car. If I take things slow, I haven't had much of a problem on Melbournes sh!tty roads...

Just be a little more careful with your sports setup, or as mentioned, you can always change them to standard suspension for extra height.

Advanced_Amatuer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS 2010
I had a lowered vt for 7 yrs.
Never again.
FE2 is a fantastic all rounder.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
yeah but im keeping in mind that he only has roughly $800 to spend, its hard to do alot of things for that price.