Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fitting factory TPMS (tryre pressure monitors) to a VE - can it be done?

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Guys - Just fitted mine up today. Yes def don't need the "special tool" to learn the sensors. Just follow the previously put up instructions. The only difference I did was to initiate the learn through the Tech2. This was on a MY12 SV6.

Cheers!

doubledip

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, LH Torana / LSA / VE E3 HSV interior
good... to hear.. means I don't need to get hold off it when I fit mine :)

windymiller

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXR8
Hi all - I'm in the UK and have a VXR8 (essentially a HSV Clubsport R8) built in 2008 and I'm interested in trying to get the TPMS working

Like others I can see the TPMS in the engineering mode on the cluster. I have been on the free tis2web page listed earlier in this thread and if I enter my chassis number and select Vauxhall it does not give me the option to enable the TPMS under the RFA however if I change the make to Holden it does give the option. The hardware options are identical on both but the system calibration number is different once you have selected a hardware option

I'm not sure at the moment which cluster I have but I would imagine from its age it will be a white back cluster

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, what is the correct part number for the sensors?

Thanks

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Does anyone know if this is possible?

Also, what is the correct part number for the sensors?

Thanks

As Doubledip said earlier, tis2web can be tricked into thinking it's programming a different cars modules to the one actually connected.
I had to tell Tis that my VE was actually a Chevrolet to be able to change the HVAC module gender from single to dual Zone.

Your VXR8 cluster is basically an HSV one with a different Fascia for MPH and probably slightly different firmware, but the same functionality should still be in there.
Try enabling it if you have access to a tech2 with a Vauxhall flash card, or change the eeprom location Muke put up before.

The part number on mine was 20922901 - blue sensor, 433 Mhz, made by Schrader.
There's a sticker on the back that says "Made in UK" so maybe you can get them a bit cheaper over there !

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
What kind/brand of tech2 tool are you guys using? I've seen a few on ebay etc but just wondering if there are better ones than others out there?

They are pretty exxy so I would want to get one that does the job!

Thanks!

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
Genuine Tech2's are made by Vetronix (part of Bosch) and cost around $3000 new

The $400 cheapies on ebay are Chinese clones and are hit and miss with quality.
Some people have no problems at all with the clones, but I've heard of others that have packed up after a week or 2
Many of the clones also seem to come with Holden export flash mem cards which are no good for Aussie VE's

A laptop with a PCMCIA slot and a bit of software can reprogram the cards to do Holden, Vauxhalls, Saabs, Chevs etc

I pulled apart an RFA module from a 2007 Omega on the weekend - it doesn't have a separate eeprom, just a m16c/1N Renesas MCU,

433 Mhz radio receiver chip and CAN bus transceiver. All the key remote and TPM settings are saved inside the MCU.
The new TPM calibration is a whole new o/s firmware for the MCU chip, and tis2web is the only practical way to reprogram it.

It's possible to directly program the TPM cal into the RFA without a tech2 or tis2web, but wayyyy too fiddly to do.

Dre

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV, VZ Calais
Thanks for the info.

So just so I have this right, the RFA needs to be programmed via a tech2 and the tis2web also needs a tech2 right?

Are these cheap tech2's the ones that people are using to do the TPMS modding?

Thanks!

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
Yeah I have a cheap one. Watch it though I've dropped mine a couple of times now it won't communicate with the PC. Still good to clear codes and do readings though.

Looks like I need another and not bloody drop it! Lucky it did this after I'd reprogrammed the RFA!

morris70

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sportswagon
I got mine second hand off eBay - the bloke who sold it said it belonged to an Auto workshop that closed down.
It has Vetronix S/n's on the back and inside, so a bit hard to tell if real or clone. Had no probs with it so far though !

Get one from an Aussie eBay seller if possible, and avoid places like aliexpress as chances are they won't help if there's problems with it

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
Slight dig, so I am finally getting around to doing this tomorrow when I get the car serviced at Holden. They said they will give it a go, I know it can work as mentioned in this thread, but whether they can figure it out is another thing..
Will post back with an update...