Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel Experiment with a 6L

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
What's the set up cost like for this? I've just started doing 1200 km's a week on the highway, and im spending a couple hundred on petrol a week.

1200 a week?! Wow. That's alot of km's.

I have LPG in my '07 Lumina. It's Liquid Injection and it's incredibly cheap to run (I can fill up from empty for a touch over $35).
I got the system installed at Central Ford (irony?) and cost me $4200 to install, but I got a rebate of $1500.
It only takes about 25,000km until the system pays itself off.

Things to remember
  • It isn't a dedicated LPG system. (If you run out of petrol, you're up $h!t creek)
  • LPG does not like to do any manual work. You're fuel consumption will skyrocket if you treat your car like a rocket ship, or if you tow.

If you have any questions at all, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Its not all about RON value. LPG has a lower calorific value than petrol. (It produces less total heat and therefore less peak pressure in the cylinder.) Simply put, LPG gives slightly less 'bang' per charge. LPG is slightly less potent as an internal combustion engine fuel. The driver will instinctively react to this by opening the throttle more to achieve the desired speed or rate of speed increase. Thus, more liquid fuel (LPG) will be used than when running on petrol. Also 108 is peak but not guaranteed. It can be as low as 102RON. All the above being said is is still generally cheaper to run, but performance wise petrol comes out on top in most cases.

The E85 has a much lower calorific value too. I've noticed the cats run nearly 200 degrees C cooler on the E85 than on reg fuel. Have to ask though is the fact it burns cooler all bad from a power production perspective? Thought lower temps can also mean that higher compression ratios are capable through manipulation of the VVT?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
The E85 has a much lower calorific value too. I've noticed the cats run nearly 200 degrees C cooler on the E85 than on reg fuel. Have to ask though is the fact it burns cooler all bad from a power production perspective? Thought lower temps can also mean that higher compression ratios are capable through manipulation of the VVT?

From what Ive read you can run higher comps with E85.

Here's an interesting read comparing E85 v E10 V Premium Unleaded Ethanol fuel | bio fuels | alternative fuels | E85 | E10

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Well all I know is that e10 runs so badly I may as well have lopped 2 cylinders and an injector off my car.

iUte

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute 328RWkW 3.9 LSD Rip Shifter
I only run the 98 RON fuel on my car, my mechanic told me too, because thats what its tuned for.

I tried running the 85 stuff, but it ran rough compared to usual. Which is a shame because the Vortex or Ultimate are over priced IMO.

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Specially since it costs the petrol companies the same amount to make either type of fuel.

Nuddy989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
or diesel is a by product of making petrol as in they can't make petrol without making diesel yet it's more expensive

kato128

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS-V
Here's the stats I got from the 1 tank I put in of e10

Range: 464KM
Cost per km: 19.9c

More expensive than e85 per and the car ran terrible on it. It's not as accurate as the previous data but I can't bear making the car run like that for 4 tanks worth.

On a side note the performance really picked up on the last 8th of a tank or so. Guessing that higher octane fuel floats to the top...