Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fuel injector failure

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
What fuel is listed in the owner's handbook ?
This is a quote I found in the VF brochure: "91 RON (Recommended 95 RON PULP for the 6.2L LS3 V8 engine). E10 compatible"
Will check the owners manual when I get home tonight but I expect it would be something similar.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF2 Commodore Calais V8
I havent any injector issues on my car yet either! I have VF2 2015 Calais V8 which had around 65k when I purchased it in January.It had use as a hire car before my purchase so I would assume it may well have been run on 91. Since my purchase, Ive always run the car on 95 but not always the same brand and have only covered around 3k. I know this information is inconclusive one way or the other but I thought it was worth sharing just to round out the picture. Its anybody's guess just how extensive the injector issue is but it seems to me that Holden should be making an admission of the problem and its willingness to replace the faulty injectors if they are in fact faulty. I don't know about anybody else but Im starting to feel its just a question of time before we all end up knocking on Holdens door with the same problem

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
It seems to me that this "bad" fuel hypothesis is nonsense. And by saying bad they surely don't mean "wrong fuel" else they would say wrong as compared to bad (contaminated, less than 91 RON). And if they thought the whole issue was bad fuel I would pretty much guess they would not be replacing sets of injectors in and out of warranty. Rather they would be shoving you off to the fuel companies.

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
It seems to me that this "bad" fuel hypothesis is nonsense. And by saying bad they surely don't mean "wrong fuel" else they would say wrong as compared to bad (contaminated, less than 91 RON). And if they thought the whole issue was bad fuel I would pretty much guess they would not be replacing sets of injectors in and out of warranty. Rather they would be shoving you off to the fuel companies.
It may very well be nonsense.
The reason why I was asking about fuel type is that 91 RON fuel has more contaminants (sulphur etc) than PULP fuel. 98 octane fuels from BP and Shell (and maybe others) have cleaning agents that might help prevent damage/clogging of injectors. E10 has a higher viscosity which may have an effect.

Edit: I would like to add that I have bought bad fuel before. I filled my car up with Shell 98 in Lorne (Lexus IS250) and the car started blowing out black smoke. So much so that the entire rear bumper was stained with black sooty material by the time we got back to Melbourne. Took it to the mechanic, they emptied out the tank and replaced the fuel -problem fixed. Australia is known to have poor fuel quality relative to Europe for example. That is why some euro cars (and Japanese) are de-tuned for Australian market.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
So we have to use premium fuel in our cars only because of the fuel injectors? Seems a little dumb!

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
To those who've had their injectors replaced by Holden:
(1) Did you find out what the actual fault is?
(2) Did they replace with different injector/part# or the same injector/part#?
(3) What are those part numbers?

I'm thinking that if all Holden is doing is not disclosing the fault and replacing with the very same injector, they haven't solved the problem... just put a band-aid on it until it happens again. And when that time comes you'll have to pay for 8 new injectors.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Also to anyone that had their injectors replaced what fuel have you used?

My 2015 SSV has always had BP ultimate (98 Ron) from the same place from new and I have no problem at 37xxx kms (knock on wood).

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
13k km in 10 months. 60% e10, 40% 91. no issues

Mayuri Krab

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF series 2 SSV Redline, Mitsubishi 380 ES
Given that Holden have gone on record to claim the the injector issue is caused by bad fuel I am wondering whether the people here who have had problems with their injectors help out the commodore community by letting us know.

1) What fuel do you usually fill up with?
2) If the answer to 1) is 98 did you sometimes use 91 or an ethanol (E10) fuel?
3) Which company do you mainly buy your fuel from? BP, Shell, United etc

This information will help us determine whether there is any truth to Holden's claim

My car was an ex-company car with 45k on the clock when I bought it, so probably haf crap fuel put in before hand.

But for my ownership (now at around 62.5k km)

1) Mainly used 95, with a few tanks of 98 (when traveling down in rural WA towns where 95 seemz harder to find than 98)

2) Never used 91 in my ownership and E10 doesn't exist in WA.

3) Which ever is the cheapest in my area, which is usually United, followed by 7-11 (have also used Caltex and Puma).

Got my injectors replaced around the 60k km mark, it just went belly up randomly with no previous symptoms before hand.