Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

full keyless button start ignition

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I had a remote start module I built that I hooked up to an alarm system. Had to turn the alarm off, then you could start the car.

How it worked was you pressed the start button on the remote then some relays would turn on the ACC an ON, then it would start, and stop cranking when it sensed the voltage from the tacho had risen (started). I also added a wire to the handbrake so that if you released the handbrake before the key was in the ignition and at the ON position it would stall.

You could have it set up a similar way. First add an alarm system in with an immobilizer then have your start button wired up to a similar module so that it would start as soon as you pressed the button, but only after you turned the alarm off.

It might only work once you have the key in the ignition anyway as it might need the transponder to start. Don't know about that part tho.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
the push button would operate the starter without the key in the ignition but wouldnt run unless the key was in the ignition.

i had this exact setup in my suzuki 4x4's lol so i know what you mean now..i was thinking of not using the key at all besides unlocking and locking the car though thats all

If you had a VE that would even be better, you would only have to push the button and let it go and the car would start itself.

this is what im planning to do if its possible in my VT. push the button and start the car, without having to physically put the key in the ignition...like putting the key in the ignition turning it to ACC/ON then pushing the button defeats the purpose of having the button. im trying to build a keyless ignition setup - get in push the button n go. key is used to unlock/lock the car and thats it.

im looking into an immobiliser/alarm setup so that its armed when the car is locked, goes off when broken into as a security measure, but how ihow would you go about this: someone smashing a window, unlocking it and getting into the vehicle then cruisen off with your car...im not familar with how an immobilser works? this is what i cant figure out other wise i this is what i have thought of so far..

- re-route the the whole ignition to a push button (say ford XR5 button)
- wire the key transponder to the ignition hidden behind the steering wheel.
- have an engine immobiliser & alarm fitted? (as a security measure)
- key is used to unlock and lock the car only.
- steering lock removed?

it might be a simple answer but how would ya stop someone from just smashin a window, pushing the button and being off with your car?

i nearly have it figured out lol

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
is there any drama"s with permanently wiring the key transponder to the ignition?

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
is there any drama"s with permanently wiring the key transponder to the ignition?

is the transponder the silver knob on the key????

Reaction score
Members Ride
supercharged vt II acclaim
with mine right now- my ignition switch is ripped out of the ignition.. and can start it with screw driver ore whatever(you got ya special button).... steering locks disabled.. and i turn all security off with the unlock button on key instead of key/key reader..

press unlock (no key in barrel) turn screw driver and away..

try and start it without pressing the unlock button and it wont fire....

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
I drove a few cars while in the UK a few weeks ago and they were push button start, but what I liked about them was that you put the remote into a slot in the dash and then you push the button to start it. If you wanted accessories then you give the button a quick push, if you want to start it then you hold the button for about 3 seconds until it fires up. Not sure if this could be done but if you could get your hands on a complete setup from a Volvo,Toyota or Ford etc from a European car that has this setup and integrate it into a Holden it would be pretty neat.

VTLS1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 LS1 -VX S2 SS LS1
i had this exact setup in my suzuki 4x4's lol so i know what you mean now..i was thinking of not using the key at all besides unlocking and locking the car though thats all

this is what im planning to do if its possible in my VT. push the button and start the car, without having to physically put the key in the ignition...like putting the key in the ignition turning it to ACC/ON then pushing the button defeats the purpose of having the button. im trying to build a keyless ignition setup - get in push the button n go. key is used to unlock/lock the car and thats it.

im looking into an immobiliser/alarm setup so that its armed when the car is locked, goes off when broken into as a security measure, but how ihow would you go about this: someone smashing a window, unlocking it and getting into the vehicle then cruisen off with your car...im not familar with how an immobilser works? this is what i cant figure out other wise i this is what i have thought of so far..

- re-route the the whole ignition to a push button (say ford XR5 button)
- wire the key transponder to the ignition hidden behind the steering wheel.
- have an engine immobiliser & alarm fitted? (as a security measure)
- key is used to unlock and lock the car only.
- steering lock removed?

it might be a simple answer but how would ya stop someone from just smashin a window, pushing the button and being off with your car?

i nearly have it figured out lol

what you could do is as the bcm & the key are linked is possible somehow direct wire it to bcm under the centre console. that way its alot harder to get to. leave the ignition where it is,basicaly a dummy ignition so it looks the part but doesnt do anything(kinda like the prime minister)

the only thing i can think of is to have a switch hidden somewhere that turns the vehicle on & off. another car i had that already had a pushbutton in it was an old hq holden. you had the key per normal to unlock the car,then there was a secondary key/lock mech fitted on the dash(similar to some alarms key holes & key,if you know what i mean,a security type key) insert the key in this then push the button to start. there was no ignition on the column or steering lock. the only problem i could see with this was that it was visible but you could do the same but have it hidden. even possibly have 2 switches,so if they happen to find one it still wont work.

CV6Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Commodore
if you could get your hands on a complete setup from a Volvo,Toyota or Ford etc from a European car that has this setup and integrate it into a Holden it would be pretty neat.

this is a great idea!!! and i reckon it can be easily done with the right planning. got me really thinking about it now =P i'l do some research into a setup like this, the 200 series landcruiser sahara's have this exact setup - key goes into a slot on the dash and you push the button to start the engine. hmm interesting

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Yeah I thought it was kind of neat, if you figure out how to do it then post it up here as I wouldn't mind giving it a go. I also drove one car that all you needed was to have the remote on you when you were near the car and it unlocked when you lifted the door handle and started when pushing the button, didn't even need to take the remote out of your pocket and then the car locked when you got a certain distance away from it. All pretty cool and would be great if someone could work out how to integrate one of these systems into a Holden.