Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Good spot for amp?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
knoted said:
Wouldn't a cap be a better way of fixing the dimming lights? If your lights are only going down with the subs, then a cap will fix it.
Probably a lot cheaper and easier to wire up than a new alt I'd say.
not really its would be more of a band-aid that didnt/will not work.

lieos

what ford i didnt see it
Reaction score
i had my amps mounted under the seat in my hyandai excel and there was plenty of space are u sayin the commodore has less space under the seat then an excel i fit a 800w mono bloc pioneer underneath and it fit well

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
garfa said:
i like this thread. lots to sink my teeth into!
ok not quiet though phil.
1st upgrade all major grounds to 2ga or greater.
2nd new battery of 800 cold cranking amps (CCA) with a good reserve time (RA) (90 odd minutes would be ok. 120min would be better).
then consider getting your alternator checked
finally replace with a bigger output alternator.

Ok. can you explain your logic behind upgrading the grounds to a bigger gauge? Are you talking about grounds on the amps or the wire connecting the battery terminal to the chassis? If it's the wire connecting the battery to the chassis i can see what you are saying.

I still don’t see how a bigger battery would help stop the lights from dimming while the engine is running. While it’s not running yes it would.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Light dimming while the car is running is usually the voltage droping from charge voltage (14v or so) down to the battery voltage (12v or so). Theoretically, a battery can't fix that, but something else that can supply 14v should be able to HELP. That's where a cap can possibly be useful.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
dephilile said:
Ok. can you explain your logic behind upgrading the grounds to a bigger gauge? Are you talking about grounds on the amps or the wire connecting the battery terminal to the chassis? If it's the wire connecting the battery to the chassis i can see what you are saying.

I still don’t see how a bigger battery would help stop the lights from dimming while the engine is running. While it’s not running yes it would.
when the 60A alternator is running and the amps want more than 60A. a bigger batt can supply Xamps of current is less time than a smaller bat.
also your alternator is grounded to the engine, and therefore upgrading the engine to firewall gound will lower the resistance. hence better charging system.

dephilile

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
garfa said:
when the 60A alternator is running and the amps want more than 60A. a bigger batt can supply Xamps of current is less time than a smaller bat.
also your alternator is grounded to the engine, and therefore upgrading the engine to firewall gound will lower the resistance. hence better charging system.

See StoneX’s post above concerning the battery. That’s what I was getting at in my post.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Mounting Amps Upside Down...

StoneX said:
They should NOT be mounted upside down. Most decent brands will specify that your warranty will be void if mounted upside down for a reason, it shortens the life of the amp.

Hey there Stonex, I too was against mounting amps upside down until my misses wanted a reasonable system in a VR Calais we decided to go with 2 amps one mono block and a 4 channel mtx for the speakers...i mounted the amps upside down under the parcel shelf to save space as she carries pram, shopping etc....However the difference is 2 use a fans out of a computer power supply to help remove most of the heat away from the amps.....I also made a fibreglass sub box for a 10 inch sub which is boxed into the drivers side with a 3 inch port....works a treat....it actually sounds better than some 12 inch subs that i have done behind the fold down arm rest bit in a commy....only thing is i have to have the fold down bit down....else most of the bass stays in the boot......I will post some pics if ppl want of the box and the amps....

Lets Work as a TEAM and do it MY WAY....!!!

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I know how to keep an amp cool :) I know they CAN be mounted upside down. I'm just pointing out that they shouldn't be mounted upside down as it CAN cause problems. Most manufacturers recommend against it and i'm against fixing them after it happens.

Last edited: