Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Green VS Maloo

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Looking great, you've been doing some good work.
If you can bring the edge of the tray back with the das6 where the tonou raps over it, apply some clear vinyl wrap to that area too. I have done that on all my Utes and it protects the paint really well.
I did my own wrap on my last ute (VE II), had it all laser cut to fit and took my time with lots of slippery lube (baby shampoo and water in spray bottle) and it came up great. The place I bought it off only do bikes now but plenty of joints sell it. Make sure you spend the e tra and get good quality though, 3M or something as good.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
i have similar moments to your mate. ill see a nice VL and cant stop thinking bout having one. Next week ill catch a look at vz calais and start think i should get one. its definatly a curse

Yep, do the same myself , I just take it that because we've known each other longer than I've had the ute that even though he likes the VSs it's also because of what I'm doing to it that made him say, it's a nice compliment!

Thanks, dgp, that's a great idea , had thought if I ever got it repainted I'd do that area but if it comes up alright it'll be a good place to practice putting on the wrap ,being a less complicated shape .
Definitely want to do the bumper after painted , probably get mirrors painted and wrap them at the same time.
Plus anything to help keep it looking good and/or help reduce risk of damage and that style bumper does seem easier to get chipped down low .

Adelaidetradie86

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute Series 2
What size did you get for those center caps? my utes sitting at the office so ive had van all week. wanted to know so i can order some for my bus

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just looked at the eBay info of my transaction and it didn't mention a specific model but did say size of 63 mm . Looked on ebay and adds now say for models VT and on 63 mm diameter and a recess diameter of 58 mm, that's why they fit my monaro rims!!
As far as I can see there's only one size . they're the sizes for the perfect fit
d1d8368d-a883-474e-82f2-93b6162d7688_zpshnnnihvz.jpg~original
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/d1d8368d-a883-474e-82f2-93b6162d7688_zpshnnnihvz.jpg.html] [/URL]
I'd check your wheels first but if you really want them i certainly can't see why you can't take badge off center cap and glue on top of your center caps, you might not even have to grind/modify your center caps. These hsv style caps are slightly domed, so should be easy to glue straight on .
Might just depend on the diameter of your original center caps as to how neat it looks.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
If not hopefully not too much bigger and can stick hsv ones onto the Rodney James ones.
So I'm checking over the ute this afternoon before we leave on trip tomorrow,I've put air in spare and pol air bags and decide to look at bushes at the rear and find this. Worn out upper trailing arm bushes
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20160916_180119_zpsbjnhy29e.jpg.html] [/URL]
20160916_180119_zpsbjnhy29e.jpg~original

Luckily Newcastle's version of rare spares have some in stock race down and get them.
Just a little flogged.
20160916_180933_zpsqygrwb0w.jpg~original
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20160916_180933_zpsqygrwb0w.jpg.html] [/URL]
20160916_181015_zpsfqfa6jrp.jpg~original
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20160916_181015_zpsfqfa6jrp_1.jpg.html] [/URL]
Luckily I also have a press, makes it so much easier and we're done,
20160916_182321_zpsnlrhgc3d.jpg~original
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/20160916_182321_zpsnlrhgc3d.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s86.photobucket.com/user/iainrhands/media/7e430dad-f90e-48d9-b31a-974891ff0765_zps33bfzkoq.jpg.html] [/URL]
Hopefully that's all for now.

Last edited:

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Well this is turning into an eventful holiday/road trip, we're back at the motel in Canberra with no ute!
Long version is just putting around in the national archive area and smell what I think is to do with transmission. We then go up black Mountain to telsra tower and smell is even worse .
Find a transmission place to look at it,he can't see anything so jumps and I'm in passenger seat , take off on test drive and straight away we both hear noise from back.
Put it up on hoist and drivers side 10 month old bilstin rear shock, the shaft has snapped off at top where thread starts.I ring place I bought them from get told warranty is for leaks can't you weld thread back on and I'm sure because I fitted shocks not them it won't be covered. No stock anyway so luckily local place had a set of KYBs so should get it back tomorrow morning sometime .
We weren't leaving Canberra until Wednesday so apart from inconvenience and more money GREAT! not to bad an impact.
The fun of modified cars! Not that this should have happened, never heard of shock snapping cars not that heavily modified.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yea, at a loss, there was evidence of slight wear on drivers side wheel well on inboard side and you could see even less marks on inside tyre sidewall. Surely that'd be from the shock being broken. Got the standard hsv Panhard bar but I'd have thought at about fe2 there'd be no drama and it certainly still seamed even when I did suspension. Also it'd be pushing it across to the right. Maybe the worn upper trailing control arm bushes helped load it up and weakened it and took a bit longer to break ,but the thing against that is the worst bush was on passengers side. Just have to have a good look before we go anywhere/far.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Also wouldn't have thought there was enough weight in back to change anything. Only have a large aluminium checka plate box pad locked in as a boot, a esky and a few bags.nothing too heavy! Didn't notice anything unusual on way down , in fact drove real nice, just cruised down highways, just as well plenty of police/ radars on the way .