Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help rear seal won't stop leaking in v6 Vt

Ralphie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Hey everyone I've got a 1998 v6 Vt Calais it had a rear seal leak pulled it out replaced it it still leaked. So I did it again and guess what no change. It doesn't appear to be leaking from anywhere else! Let me know if u have any ideas cheers

Locksmiff

Reaction score
I would assume you aren't seating it properly. Its either to far forward or not in far enough.

Ralphie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Where exactly is it supposed to be then?

VSteve

Reaction score
There is a special tool needed to put the seal in properly. If it isn't perfectly square then it will leak in no time. Also check there isn't a build up of pressure in the crank case as this can also force oil past seals. Something like a block PCV valve or worn rings can also cause oil leaks.

Ralphie

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
Where do u get this tool from what are they called?

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
sure its the seal itself and not the plate it sits in out of alignment or the crank bolts leaking oil ??? I have seen afew porous cranks over the time . SST for the rear main seal not always required the number of seal i have done over the years without this tool . check for a groove in the crank where the seal lip runs too may need a speedy sleeve to make it square again ..

HBDCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
HBD VT Calais SII L67
im with strgas, replace the entire place on rear of engine, at our workshop we no longer just replace the seal it self as the gasket behind the plate that seals up oil and water galleries tends to crack near the edges of one side towards the bottom and leaks from one of the 10mm bolt holes

if u are going to change the whole thing make sure u either have a few really sharp razor blade to get all the remaining gasket off the block, or a buffer gun of sum kind, new engine oil and coolant and some silicon to put on the edge of sum that sticks out under the plate

drain oil and coolant, rip the box out, drive plate, then rear main gasket seal plate, and u will find some water will go into the sump when it tavels down the back of the block, use compressed air with the sump plug out and in the gap at the back of the sump blow water out
once u scraped gasket all off block and put new one on
then reverse order and your done