Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Acadia - Kills ZB.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I still have my VZ SV6 it's fine , it has enough power , it's comfy enough on a long trip , I still have the Alfa for poops and giggles , having just hit 50 years of age , I don't see myself getting a SUV , mainly because I think they are naff
If age plays cruel tricks in years to come, you'll find getting in and out of modern low slung vehicles can be very difficult. That was the principal reason we bought one.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Not much fun reversing out of a spot at the shops either with one of these things parked either side.

Reversing in to the bay makes it easier when leaving.

This is considered best practice in certain industries due to the related safety issues.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
woops sorry for offending fat forum members who drive SUV,s.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Reversing in to the bay makes it easier when leaving.

This is considered best practice in certain industries due to the related safety issues.
I agree that reversing in has its safety advantages but after all these years I have found it difficult to change my ways.

Rear cross traffic alert for when parked between SUVs, DCs etc along with blind spot monitoring, particularly when driving the ute with a 3 piece hardtop on busy multilane highways are two of the greatest safety features made standard on most of the VF/VF2 models.

I rate both of these well above AEB for instance which of course didn’t make the VFs but the industry now seems to be going all out to make standard...I figure it’s not the things in front of me that an alert driver should normally be able to respond to but rather the things behind or at the side of me that are just impossible to see that are of greatest concern. I reckon make both CTA & BSM standard on cars and then worry about AEB (not saying it doesn’t have a place).

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
I'm just going to post this because I had a giggle at some comments.

I drive a Captiva. There's no "r" in its name because its been a decent car for the four years we've had it. It's not the Daewoo version, it's the ex Opel Antara Euro version, which never seemed to attract the adverse name of its slightly bigger brother. Its a wimp, 2.4 auto that wouldn't pull the skin off a custard, but it's economical, comfortable, easy to enter and egress and just the right size for two retirees. I didnt buy it to impress people (it IS a Captiva, after all) or because it was trendy. I think I might even have purchased it as a last loyal tilt at Holden before I eventually move to a other brand after 50 years of Holden loyalty.

I have one of those light bars fitted too, because, like most imports, the standard high beam is weak. It doesn't get much use, but I know when not to use it. I find it just as hard to reverse out of parking spots or see around other SUV's as any of you because some of them are stupidly huge. I get pissed off at the tailgating morons in their bully-boy utes and SUV's with bull bars.

Over my 50 years of driving, I've seen many changes in what's popular. The 70's saw the panel van craze, in the 80's we had families buying people movers like Taragos and Mitsi Expresses. I wonder what will eventually supercede SUV's and utes?
Re light bars..funniest thing I’ve seen in a long time was the other day when an original Tarago model was coming the other way...middle of the day with one of these bars fitted and turned on in broad daylight. Has to be one of the original SUVs (granted it was called a people mover in those days)...looked like some decrepit alien space ship with nothing else on the vehicle looking newer than 20 something years....also had me wondering what it was doing to the electrics of such an old mothership and maybe a reason for it having to be on even during the day??

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Nice to be in a like minded group where we hate collectively SUV,s and DC utes.

SUV s are for fat people.

DC utes are for guys with small censored.

If you keep a look on who mainly drives SUVs , quite often they’re skinny angry mothers on school runs

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If you keep a look on who mainly drives SUVs , quite often they’re skinny angry mothers on school runs
Who, in many cases, can't park their battleships for quids. Hubby buys the big, boofy Land cruiser to impress the neighbours, then drives to work in his 500 buck dunger. Wifey struggles to navigate HMAS Land cruiser through the traffic, finds a parking spot and takes ten goes reversing the bloody thing.