Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cruze

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Looks are very subjective and everybodies opinion - good bad or indifferent is valid. I was more referring to build quality, seat comfort and general impressions of it vs it's peers.

Reaper

Looks get people into cars, especially cars like the Cruze that are aimed at young women. How it drives, the build quality, steering etc. aren't going to entice most female buyers. Neither are the old Mazda 121 style door locks lol

But even if it did, I don't see the quality of this car exceeding that of the Astra which is a premium build in the GM global range compared to the GM Daewoo offering.

Im happy to wait and see, but have you driven a new small car? Go take a Ford Fiesta for a test drive and then see if you think GM Daewoo have the ability to make a car that good, that drives, steers and handles that well. Or go test drive an i30 diesel and look down at the dash to find you're getting 4.7L per 100km. The competition is very good.

At the end of the day, its still going to be a battle to get young women INTO the Holden showroom if they're looking at these cars, especially thanks to the efforts of the current Barina and Viva.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
I agree that looks are subjective but I actually think these things look the goods for what they are - inside and out. Granted, that's from the publicity pics - I reserve final judgement for when I see one in the flesh. :D

As for them being aimed at women - I'm not so sure. Cars in this class were traditionally aimed at women but I reckon the Cruze actually looks quite masculine. Also, with the way the economy and fuel prices are atm, I think quite a few blokes will be buying these too...

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Looks get people into cars, especially cars like the Cruze that are aimed at young women. How it drives, the build quality, steering etc. aren't going to entice most female buyers. Neither are the old Mazda 121 style door locks lol

But even if it did, I don't see the quality of this car exceeding that of the Astra which is a premium build in the GM global range compared to the GM Daewoo offering.

Im happy to wait and see, but have you driven a new small car? Go take a Ford Fiesta for a test drive and then see if you think GM Daewoo have the ability to make a car that good, that drives, steers and handles that well. Or go test drive an i30 diesel and look down at the dash to find you're getting 4.7L per 100km. The competition is very good.

At the end of the day, its still going to be a battle to get young women INTO the Holden showroom if they're looking at these cars, especially thanks to the efforts of the current Barina and Viva.

I don't drive them all that often and have driven neither the Fiesta nor (odviously) the Cruze. I have driven a 08 Corolla (could almost be classed as small/medium) and a 08 Mazda 3 which were a clear cut above the Hyundai Getz and 07(?) Viva which I also drove. From the brief look at the cars on the stand the Cruze looks to be approaching Mazda levels of build but weather that translates into the same at the showroom is yet to be seen.

Yeah - looks are very important for that segment. What is appealing for some women is horrid for others. Overall I'd say its a non-offensive design but each to their own.

Reaper

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
My wifes had quite a few people wolf whistle at her Fiesta! it's quite extraordinary the comments people (espically girls but guys too) give it. My mate came around and I was getting the VP ready for the drags and he says "Now THAT's a good looking car!" and I'm thinking wtf man? you've seen my VP 100 times whys it look good today? and I looked up and hes looking at the Fiesta:p lol

Then the other night some couple walked past and the girl goes woow look at that car! and her husband goes, oh yeah that's a sexy looking thing!. My wife bought it on looks alone, she wasn't even in the market for a car, just saw it in the showroom walked in a ordered one. Just lucky it turned out to be a fantastic car besides the looks :p. Both vn2nv and myself have been lucky enough to drive a couple of the first ones in the country now for quite a while so we are maybe a bit biased but it makes you realise just how stiff the competition is for Holden in this market, I've looked right over it and it's flawless buildwise, the paintwork on them is ridiculously good for a production car

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
My wifes had quite a few people wolf whistle at her Fiesta! it's quite extraordinary the comments people (espically girls but guys too) give it. My mate came around and I was getting the VP ready for the drags and he says "Now THAT's a good looking car!" and I'm thinking wtf man? you've seen my VP 100 times whys it look good today? and I looked up and hes looking at the Fiesta:p lol

Then the other night some couple walked past and the girl goes woow look at that car! and her husband goes, oh yeah that's a sexy looking thing!. My wife bought it on looks alone, she wasn't even in the market for a car, just saw it in the showroom walked in a ordered one. Just lucky it turned out to be a fantastic car besides the looks :p. Both vn2nv and myself have been lucky enough to drive a couple of the first ones in the country now for quite a while so we are maybe a bit biased but it makes you realise just how stiff the competition is for Holden in this market, I've looked right over it and it's flawless buildwise, the paintwork on them is ridiculously good for a production car

When it comes to good design, Europe leads the world. They innovate and the rest follow. Have a look at the current trend for round tail-lights. I think they were a Merc or somesuch innovation, now everybody has them. Hope some of it has rubbed off on the Cruze, but I doubt it.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
When it comes to good design, Europe leads the world. They innovate and the rest follow. Have a look at the current trend for round tail-lights. I think they were a Merc or somesuch innovation, now everybody has them. Hope some of it has rubbed off on the Cruze, but I doubt it.

round taillights? corvettes have had them for decades

anyways, went to the motor show yesterday, and the cruse didnt look that bad at all

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Hopefully it'll actually be a half-decent car...just I was expecting it to be, well, more Torana and less Viva.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
round taillights? corvettes have had them for decades

anyways, went to the motor show yesterday, and the cruse didnt look that bad at all

Yeah, they did, and many others before them. I was thinking more of the current trend to having round lights contained within a larger tail-light assembly, rather than separate lights like the vette.

hsvtj

now cruising..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, VS Statesman 5.0
i checked out the cruze at the motorshow the other week. its much better looking in the 'flesh' than it appears in photos, and its certainly better than the Viva.

im not sure exactly what its aimed at taking on in the market, whether it be the fiesta or the focus, but if we are talking focus, they need a sporty model too. i personally like the SRI versions of the astra, especially the turbo.
as for the bulk of the ppl who will buy it, its probably good looking enough for the girls (young and old) it probably comes down to price really, and whether their dad/boyfriend drives a holden or ford..

would i drive one? maybe, but like i said, id want a sportier model, to make it look something decent

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
well dad rang holden a few day's ago and it's a daewoo it will be made in korea until 2011 then australia takes over and it will be considered to transform it to rwd when it come's to aus XD