Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Cruze

hsvtj

now cruising..
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, VS Statesman 5.0
well dad rang holden a few day's ago and it's a daewoo it will be made in korea until 2011 then australia takes over and it will be considered to transform it to rwd when it come's to aus XD

hope they are getting the alloytec ready for it too!

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Looks get people into cars, especially cars like the Cruze that are aimed at young women. How it drives, the build quality, steering etc. aren't going to entice most female buyers. Neither are the old Mazda 121 style door locks lol

But even if it did, I don't see the quality of this car exceeding that of the Astra which is a premium build in the GM global range compared to the GM Daewoo offering.

Im happy to wait and see, but have you driven a new small car? Go take a Ford Fiesta for a test drive and then see if you think GM Daewoo have the ability to make a car that good, that drives, steers and handles that well. Or go test drive an i30 diesel and look down at the dash to find you're getting 4.7L per 100km. The competition is very good.

At the end of the day, its still going to be a battle to get young women INTO the Holden showroom if they're looking at these cars, especially thanks to the efforts of the current Barina and Viva.

I'm pretty sure the current Barina and Astra/Viva small cars easily out sell thier ford rivals which are only european enginered not build there they come from south africa remeber ....

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The new Fiesta is made in Germany and will be until the end of the year, then the Australian cars will come from the (not ready yet) plant in Thialand. Alll the Euro Fords can come from nearly anywhere but the Germany factory is home base and allways build the first lot. It should outsell everything once the other factorys come online, but at the moment theres a 4 month wait as the German factory can only build 2000 a day and it's just can't build enough for Europe and Australia

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Holden have released pricing for the Cruze. Also, the Astra has been ditched, leaving the Cruze to replace both the Astra and Viva in a segment dominated by hatches?

2009 Holden Cruze range pricing:
CD 1.8 $20,990
CD 1.8 (a) $23,290
CD 2.0 Diesel $23,990
CD 2.0 Diesel (a) $25,990
CDX 1.8 $23,990
CDX 1.8 (a) $25,990

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Holden have released pricing for the Cruze. Also, the Astra has been ditched, leaving the Cruze to replace both the Astra and Viva in a segment dominated by hatches?

2009 Holden Cruze range pricing:
CD 1.8 $20,990
CD 1.8 (a) $23,290
CD 2.0 Diesel $23,990
CD 2.0 Diesel (a) $25,990
CDX 1.8 $23,990
CDX 1.8 (a) $25,990

Are those drive away prices? Seems reasonably priced from what I've seen in the pics and reviews but I reserve final judgement for when I see the car in the flesh.

We have an appointment at our dealer for the first week in June when they are released. The missus is still hell bent on one...

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
A slightly larger version of this ecotec, a 4 cylinder is used in the new Elfin T5 Clubman. Apparently it is a serious motor. 194KW / 351 NM . Sounds serious to me.

Could be REALLY good....And holden is already bringing it in to sell to Elfin.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Source: goautonews

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS

GM HOLDEN has confirmed that its small car production program due to commence in the second half of 2010 will include the JG Cruze four-sedan launched this week – which will be sourced from South Korea in the interim – and a five-door hatchback version featuring different sheet metal.

Holden is now concentrating on building the Cruze brand, forgoing crucial hatch sales volume in Australia’s biggest market segment with the lack of a C-segment (small) hatchback in its range until the new Australian production line starts rolling.

Imports of the South Korean-sourced JF Viva have ceased, while shipments of the AH Astra out of Europe have been suspended and are under review at Holden. Astra imports are unlikely to recommence in the face of a weak Australian dollar against the Euro, among other reasons.

“There will be a hatchback version of our small car,” GM Holden chairman and managing director Mark Reuss said this week in Melbourne.
He also confirmed that the Australian designed small car would have different sheet metal to the Cruze sedan, even though they will share GM’s Delta II architecture.

Furthermore, GoAuto can reveal that Holden will cease importing the Cruze sedan from Korea towards the end of next year and instead build it alongside the hatch at its assembly plant in Elizabeth, South Australia.

A Holden source confirmed the dual model production plan this week.
In late March, federal industry minister Kim Carr revealed to GoAuto that Holden planned to build a family of small vehicles off GM’s fi rst truly global compact-car platform, which he said was essential to the Australian manufacturer’s survival.

“The new Delta opens up into about five different streams in its later phases,” senator Carr said. “To get it up in a period like this, when General Motors internationally is facing such acute questions, is remarkable … It made the difference between General Motors (Holden) being viable and nonviable.”

As well as building the hatch and sedan, GoAuto sources indicate that Holden could build the all-new Astra revealed in Europe last week, the Chevrolet Orlando seven-seat people-mover and, eventually, the Phase II version of GM’s groundbreaking Volt plug-in hybrid.

A wagon version of the Cruze is also expected, while potential exists for a two door coupe/convertible and a compact SUV.
Mr Reuss said this week that Holden was striving to achieve between 25 and 30 per cent local content in the upcoming hatch, making it the most Australian GM small car since the Family II-engined LD Astra (twin to the N13 Pulsar built by Nissan Australia in Victoria) ceased production in 1989.

However, while Mr Reuss admitted that the next-generation Astra will feature a different (and probably more costly and complex) rear suspension system compared to the relatively simple and inexpensive torsion beam set-up developed for the Cruze, he refused to divulge if the Australian hatchback will follow its European Astra cousin.

While both the Cruze and the next generation Astra use the Delta II architecture, there are key differences to reflect their different price positioning. Keeping a lid on costs may be one of the key drivers in Holden gaining export markets for its Australian-built baby. “I think there could be (export potential for the small car) … yes, absolutely,” Mr Reuss said.

Asked if this could include supplying British affiliate Vauxhall with a Cruze derivative – as widely anticipated in light of GM’s move to consider selling its European and British operations – the Holden chief said: “I haven’t thought out that far … but anything we do … there are right-hand markets (we could look at) … like South Africa, or Thailand.

“Those are the sort of natural places that we could look at to have some sort of export business with our right-hand drive small car.”
Holden is keeping the Australian-built small car’s name close to its corporate chest, but the Lion brand is expected to extend the Cruze badge to the hatch as it seeks to streamline and simplify costs and minimise consumer confusion.

The new Cruze sedan effectively ends almost 13 consecutive years of Astra nomenclature in Australia – or 25 years if you add the Nissan N12 and N13-based model built and sold in Australia for Holden over a fi ve-year period from 1984. GM Holden executive director of sales, marketing and aftersales Alan Batey told GoAuto this week that the company was putting all available resources behind the Cruze after suspending imports of the AH Astra for the time being.

“We said, ‘Let’s put all our efforts in the Cruze because that is where the market is,’ ” he said, adding that it did not make good business sense to have too many names in the same market segment. “The more proliferation of nameplates you have, the more diffi cult it is … Consistency counts for a lot.”
Asked if the Astra should be considered dead in Australia if the Australian dollar did not improve against the Euro, Mr Batey was blunt: “If the (economic) environment remains the same, then yes,” he said. “That car (the AH Astra) was going to come in absolutely north of 25,000. And it is a buyer’s market – very price sensitive, and there are a lot of bargains out there. It is economics.”

Mr Reuss put it more succinctly: “It’s pretty tough to make money on (the Astra) at the moment.” However, there is still plenty of 2008-built AH Astra stock, with supplies expected to last into the second half of this year. “At the moment, our dealers are not ordering any cars. We have availability across the board – you can still get wagons, you can still get TwinTops, you can still get Coupes, you can still get hatchbacks,” Mr Batey said. “That inventory will probably start to whittle away towards the end of next month, and by that time we will have launched Cruze, and we will keep an eye out on what is happening.”

BullittSV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ Commodore SV6
Shame about the Astra, but at least the Cruze is priced competitively. Although I still think for price and quality you can't go past a Ford Focus in that segment.

When my girlfriend was after a new car last year, the choices were Astra, Corolla, Focus or Mazda3. I wouldn't let her anywhere near a Viva and the Focus drove great for the Same price a Yaris. How Ford can import from Europe and get it below Toyota pricing is beyond me, especially since the Astra is priced so hgih.

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I drive Astra wagons for work as a tradie car and they are bloody good. Not the fastest thing on the planet but they cop an absolute beating and have never missed a beat. I wouldn't hesitate to reccommend one if there was someone looking for a small reliable car. The Cruze has a lot to live up to.

BullitSV6 is also right about the Ford Focus. Ford haven't got one bad car in their whole lineup. They are all quality vehicles. Holden need to be careful because aussies aren't dumb and that they won't put with the Korean imports if they are substandard quality.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I think Holden are pretty keen going up against the Focus and Fiesta. It's a big call to think you can match the small German Fords. But I guess they can't sit around and do nothing. But it's clearly not as pretty as either, probably not as fast and most likely doesn't handle as well or have the 5 star safety(edit I see it does have 5 star:) ) or the build quality so it's going to need some pretty serious good old "Holdens go better" advertising :). I just read it's got a kerb weight of 1380 kg so it's a bit of a tank

Last edited: