Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do i tell the difference between a VF Evoke or SV6?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
You forgot Deer Park, Sunshine and St Albans :cool:

The 3.0 litre V6 is gutless! 3.6lt is so much better

I did ask that, but in a round about different way,
As they do a lot of re-births out that way,
As I have gone and had a look a few out of interest.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah i know the calais has blue but it was sold as a "sv6" which is red and the dash cluster and mylink need the vin programmed into them so they work.
if you combine that and the fact it has the 3.0l which is only found on the evoke/international i would say it is an evoke/international with original cluster and mylink with the interior parts out of a calais and ss(wrecker parts interior).

the big problem for the op is that if it was a private sale there is not much he can do about it because the consumer guarantee does not apply to private vehicle sales.
if it was bought from a dealer then the op can take it back for a full refund because it was sold under misleading advertising and if the op had of known it was an evoke he would not have bought it.

The Seller "MUST" disclose it was a repairable Write Off, [I think it states it on the VicRoads Website, It did read it some time ago]
If they don't, they are eligible to get their money back,
Not sure how, but they can.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
The Seller "MUST" disclose it was a repairable Write Off, [I think it states it on the VicRoads Website, It did read it some time ago]
If they don't, they are eligible to get their money back,
Not sure how, but they can.

doesn't this only apply to car yards?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
What if ? It is genuine, it was a special order Evoke/Berlina for somebody within GMH, or a dealer, who had enough influence to do a one off.
Strange combination if it was.
OP can either feel ripped off and aggrieved if he bought a SV6 for a SV6 price, or happy that he bought a SV6/Calais factory hybrid for an Evoke price.
Is there a possibility of tracing the original owner for info on it ?

Yes you can trace the original owner, but you need contacts.
ONLY if the VIN is 100% accurate,
Where it could have 2 VIN #'s 1) one at t he bottom of the screen, 2) in the ECU
But the VIN could be different in the ECU if its re-birthed,
because the old ECU could or been damaged, or water logged, so they could of replaced it.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride

No, "THAT APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE PURCHASED"
if it not disclosed, the seller can be sued for the same,
As the car could be unsafe, and/or not roadworthy,
You ask, how did it get a roadworthy ?,
Money is a powerful thing in the Automotive industry, especially Cash on the black market.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

yes, private sales have no acl protections and thats why companies like "revs check" etc exist.
motor dealers have to follow acl guidelines for their respective states but private sellers can pretty much sell you a pile of rust and list it as a brand new vehicle and if you buy it you are s.o.l.

No, "THAT APPLIES TO ALL VEHICLES THAT ARE PURCHASED"

no, unless a state in australia has changed the laws recently on private sales the history of the vehicle is not required to be disclosed to a buyer during a private sale and it would only apply to that state.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
yes, private sales have no acl protections and thats why companies like "revs check" etc exist.
motor dealers have to follow acl guidelines for their respective states but private sellers can pretty much sell you a pile of rust and list it as a brand new vehicle and if you buy it you are s.o.l.

no, unless a state in australia has changed the laws recently on private sales the history of the vehicle is not required to be disclosed to a buyer during a private sale and it would only apply to that state.

Oops I Edited my comment.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Misrepresentation for profit is frowned upon by a number of other laws. So asking a private owner specific facts about the car can leave them liable. One proviso is that the questions have to be specific and not lend themselves to puffery (only driven to church on Sundays type answers). Just take note that asking, for example, if a car is a genuine VK Brock SS and then having a mechanic mate thoroughly inspect the case actually undoes any protections in asking questions. Tried to find an article on a similar specific private sale of a classic collectible which found the owner would have been liable for faulse answers had it not been for the buyers detailed checking but needle/haystack type problem.

So ACL is not the only protection to buyers as the law has depth, real depth .... but such protection is only for those with deep pockets :eek: the rest of us buy from businesses and rely on ACL ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... Where it could have 2 VIN #'s 1) one at t he bottom of the screen, 2) in the ECU...
There is a VIN stamped on the left lower part of the windscreen frame visible through the glass. There is also a VIN stamped on the floor frame under/near the drivers seat. I believe these are legal requirements.

Any firmware storage of VIN is not a legal requirement as i understand. It's more a manufacturing convenience to lock parts to cars in a feeble attempt to either limit resale of second hand used parts and/or lock out vehicle features to specific variants (since features are often controlled by BMC and a modules configuration firmware locked to VINs).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Tried to find an article on a similar specific private sale of a classic collectible which found the owner would have been liable for faulse answers had it not been for the buyers detailed checking but needle/haystack type problem.

These ? Here are a couple of ‘fake GTHO’ cases that I came across a few years ago.

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/135000-ford-falcon-gtho-turns-out-ot-be-a-fake-20161102-gsgh3x

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2012/...ay-108000-for-selling-fake-ford-falcon-xw-gt/

(And to a certain argumentive person on this forum …..... yes, I googled these articles, but at least I knew what I was looking for.)